Contribute
Register

New AMD Radeon VII on my Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beta software is pre full public release, so expect some kinks and issues may still need to be ironed out. Things can change between release versions and support may go backwards not forwards.

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

Read and understand what others with similar hardware are/have done. Don't run Beta software on a production machine unless you are using it for testing only.
10.14.5 will probably go live as a full release in about two weeks from now for those happy to wait.

Radeon VII is working pretty close to without a hitch here on 10.14.5 beta and now release.
I did lose audio over DP but i think thats because i need a proper HDAU SSDT definition for the radeon VII (or an updated whatevergreen, i think the next version already has this but isn't compiled yet for general release).

Anyway, though little is known for sure about Navi, consensus is that it will be a mainstream architecture to replace RX500 series and probably wont compete with radeon vii, at least not initially, and radeon vii may remain AMDs highest end offering for now. Navi should be announced next month and may release in July.

g\

Heyy genzai :) That's excellent to hear. I have a Vega 56 now but am thinking of using the Radeon VII if the effects with FCPX, Motion, Logic pro, DaVinci, Adobe etc.. are substantially superior.
Do you use any of these editing/ creation programs OR others that are very demanding on the GPU?

Thank you in advance

Nice!
Yeah I'm curious too of its performance in Resolve...did you try it? Is it noisy? Thanks!!!

I posted this in the X299 thread, but thought it might be insightful here.

Upgraded from High Sierra to Mojave today, along with switching from 1080TI to Radeon VII. Geekbench score went from ~40,000 to ~48,000 for some reason. Ran the test multiple times and it is consistent. OpenCL is ~170,000 and Metal is ~162,000... also consistent. Cinebench R20 score is 5353, right where I expected comparing to the list of systems in the benchmark app. Performance in Resolve is about the same and perhaps about 10% better with the Radeon VII compared to the 1080TI.

that's great! news! thanks! is it noisier? is it stable? did you do vanilla with 10.4.5?

I don't notice any more noise with the Radeon VII than I did with the 1080TI. Seems stable so far. No crashes yet. My OS is vanilla. Everything is in Clover/EFI.

I am noticing now that my mouse stutters at times. Same way it used to with Nvidia drivers a couple years ago with Sierra.

Last edited:
I'm on the cusp of ditching my 1080Ti and installing a Radeon VII. Did you go with the Sapphire version and any issues during the changeover?

I wish the Radeon VII was just a bit cheaper..

Hope Navi can be interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back