Contribute
Register

New AMD Radeon VII on my Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah that's your best bet then. :)

Hello, I searched a lot on the web but it is not yet clear whether the drivers for the Radeon VII are stable now.
Audio aside, does everything else work OOB without patch? Or are there still bugs?
I am undecided to install it on my x299 with MacOS Mojave 10.14.6...

Hello, I searched a lot on the web but it is not yet clear whether the drivers for the Radeon VII are stable now.
Audio aside, does everything else work OOB without patch? Or are there still bugs?
I am undecided to install it on my x299 with MacOS Mojave 10.14.6...

My Radeon VII has been solid without WhateverGreen. Only two (one HDMI, one DisplayPort) of four video out ports are active without WhateverGreen, but I only have one monitor so it's not an issue for me.

I don't know anything about X299 or how the Radeon VII will behave in it... I just know that my Radeon VII has been solid in my Z390 and Z370 before that.

Hi @pastrychef! Thanks for the reply! I use two displays, one HDMI and one DisplayPort, so I would have no problems in this case.
What kind of problems causes WhateverGreen? Audio drop? Wake from sleep?

Hi @pastrychef! Thanks for the reply! I use two displays, one HDMI and one DisplayPort, so I would have no problems in this case.
What kind of problems causes WhateverGreen? Audio drop? Wake from sleep?

For me, WhateverGreen was causing a kernel panic on wake from sleep. Panic reports showed HDMI audio being the culprit. Since WhateverGreen was responsible for enabling HDMI/DisplayPort audio for me, I knew that was the problem and removed the kext. It's been fine since.
Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 8.13.45 AM.png

I don't know if everyone is affected by this or if mine is an isolated case... But I suspect something changed in the Apple drivers for the Radeon VII. Fortunately, the Radeon VII is natively supported and WhateverGreen isn't really needed.

For me, WhateverGreen was causing a kernel panic on wake from sleep. Panic reports showed HDMI audio being the culprit. Since WhateverGreen was responsible for enabling HDMI/DisplayPort audio for me, I knew that was the problem and removed the kext. It's been fine since.
View attachment 460297

I don't know if everyone is affected by this or if mine is an isolated case... But I suspect something changed in the Apple drivers for the Radeon VII. Fortunately, the Radeon VII is natively supported and WhateverGreen isn't really needed.
Same for me, working well without whatevergreen :clap::clap::clap::mrgreen:

I recently built up a GB Aorus Xtreme Waterforce and tested what I thought was a bad Radeon VII, but it turned out that the card was okay (the previous mobo was not). Happy times!

But in either the latest Mojave or latest Catalina, the whole system would freeze up after a few minutes of use preceded by a sluggish mouse. Not so happy times!

A little search brought me to this thread. Removing WEG and manually setting up the iGPU and Radeon VII worked great. No more freezes! Happy times again!

Thank you @pastrychef!

To help others with renames (at least for GB Z390 boards, others might need adjustment of paths), attached are 2 sets of SSDTs. One is for simple renaming (GFX0 --> IGPU and for the Radeon VII); the other set renames but also includes Device Property information for the PCI section of System-Information, as well as SoftPowerPlayTable data for the Radeon VII.

After removing WEG, the PCI section is automatically supplied by the OS for the Radeon VII, over-riding the name and model injected by the SSDT, indicating that the GPU is "Radeon VII". The HDAU HDMI audio section is, however, contributed by the SSDT and the wordage was adjusted to match the style "Radeon VII".

Edit: small correction of files for consistency (4/10/20).

Attachments

• iGPU-dGPU-Simple-Rename.zip
    3.6 KB · Views: 95
  • iGPU-R7-Inject-DeviceProperties-and-SoftPowerPlayTable.zip
    5.3 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
I recently built up a GB Aorus Xtreme Waterforce and tested what I thought was a bad Radeon VII, but it turned out that the card was okay (the previous mobo was not). Happy times!

But in either the latest Mojave or latest Catalina, the whole system would freeze up after a few minutes of use preceded by a sluggish mouse. Not so happy times!

A little search brought me to this thread. Removing WEG and manually setting up the iGPU and Radeon VII worked great. No more freezes! Happy times again!

Thank you @pastrychef!

To help others with renames (at least for GB Z390 boards, others might need adjustment of paths), attached are 2 sets of SSDTs. One is for simple renaming (GFX0 --> IGPU and for the Radeon VII); the other set renames but also includes Device Property information for the PCI section of System-Information, as well as SoftPowerPlayTable data for the Radeon VII.

After removing WEG, the PCI section is automatically supplied by the OS for the Radeon VII, over-riding the name and model injected by the SSDT, indicating that the GPU is "Radeon VII". The HDAU HDMI audio section is, however, contributed by the SSDT and the wordage was adjusted to match the style "Radeon VII".

The renames should be GFX0 to IGPU and PEGP to GFX0.

The renames should be GFX0 to IGPU and PEGP to GFX0.

I was trying to reproduce how WEG renamed items, placing GFX0 as shown below in spoiler, except also changing "pci-bridge@0" to EGP0 (after KGP, as I recall). The GFX0 to IGPU is also how WEG does its rename.

PEGP-rename.jpg

IGPU-rename.jpg

hi there, what SMBIOS your running with that setup? imac19,1 or imacpro1,1 ?

The SMBIOS is iMac19,1, so iGPU is enabled in BIOS (which is reflected in one of the SSDTs for iGPU, where "AAPL,ig-platform-id" is 0x0300983E and "framebuffer-patch-enable" is 0x01000000).

And after dropping WEG, I'm using the DisplayPort connection as recommended by @pastrychef.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back