Contribute
Register

New AMD graphic cards compatible with El Capitan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-EX58 UD3R
CPU
Intel Xeon X5650
Graphics
NVidia Quadro FX 4800
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I've found only old topics here about this question...

Since Apple uses more and more AMD graphic cards is it possible/compatible to use a new AMD graphic card (like the AMD Radeon R9 390 i.e.) with ElCapitan? There is not a single AMD graphic card listed in the buyer's guide.

Thanks!

Long story short: Although I like AMD graphics for various reasons, I can't recommend any of them because of issues with El Capitan. Additionally, the Hawaii drivers (e.g. R9 390) are buggy cnce Apple most likely will never use them in any real Mac (TDP...).

Its not exactly newer, but I did want to give a specific example of excellent compatibility so far.

I have been using a MSI R9 280(not X) 3GB Twin Frozr for just over a year. It has worked flawlessly in both Yosemite and El Capitan. I use Clover as my boot loader on the EFI partition. Beyond that nothing is done to make it work.

It has 2x Mini-DP ports along with HDMI and DVI. I drive two Apple 27in LED Cinema displays via MiniDP along with a 55in Pansonic Plasma via the HDMI. I use HDMI Audio Kext and everything works perfectly.

I cannot verify the functionality of the DVI.

Okay thank you. I just thought – if Apple uses AMD hardware it's at least more compatible than nvidia graphic cards. But as far as I understand it might be tricky to use one and not a "safe choice".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back