Contribute
Register

New 8,1 Mac Mini Alternative for $522 from Amazon / Newegg

Status
Not open for further replies.
DO h motherboard support sleep? Up to some time ago even with emulated NVRam they didn't

Once Clover gets the new Mac mini 8,1 system definition you can use that and it should be possible to do the install with Unibeast right now. Quite a few people have i3-8100 systems working with HS or Mojave.

I noticed the newest version of Clover Configurator has the 8.1 system definition listed in its SMBIOS options.

Here's why the new 2018 Mac mini with a Core i7-8700 CPU is not such a great idea. When performing CPU intensive tasks you will rarely ever get the 8700 to run at it's full turbo speeds. So you're paying 300 dollars more for something you can't fully utilize. :(

The bottom line, take home idea is: If you are a professional photo or video editor, don't buy a maxed out $4,200 mini, you'll be very disappointed at the performance. You'd be much better off with a hackintosh with an i7-8700K and a high performance case and cooling system to get the full potential from your CPU and graphics. If you have $5,000 or more to spend then get the iMac Pro instead.
And if you replace the CPU thermal compound it does not throttle. The integrated graphics looks weaker than the previous generation integrated graphics (it drops frames on HD Youtube videos). An eGPU and RX 580 solves this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back