Contribute
Register

New 24" M1 iMacs come in 7 Colors / Orders starting on April 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the right choice for a lot more people than previously will be the Air. Its a laptop that costs £300 more than the mini but can act just like it - If you need a laptop and desktop the Air is one.

If I remember correctly the Air has 8+7 just like the base iMac 24", so yes, that's spot on.

Only thing I can think of that might be different for each would be thermal throttling. The Mac Mini or iMac should be able to go hotter.

The Mac Mini or iMac should be able to go hotter.
Yes the fans do make a difference, they can take heavy loads longer (although it seems the thermal pad hack for the Air really does keep it on par with the machines with fans (as long as its not on your lap)). 4 Months ago i returned the M1 MBP for the Air and I still haven't used the Air so it might need throttling. It's often docked and by far the smoothest, fastest desktop Mac I've ever used.

Luke Miani takes a look at the base model iMac 24" If you want to skip the first 5 minutes of fluff you can save some time watching this.

Luke Miani takes a look at the base model iMac 24" If you want to skip the first 5 minutes of fluff you can save some time watching this.
His comments about the differences bewteen speeds of the m1 models might be best to qualify by saying that looking at different benchmarking sites it seems there are bigger speed difference between individual M1 chips than we have seen with Intel. Cant quite remember the details but when I short benchmarked my Air CPU it was higher than any of the MBP scores and just a bit lower than the top scoring Air.

Last edited:
iPad Pro seems to be running apps faster the M1 MBpro?

iPad Pro seems to be running apps faster the M1 MBpro?
It’s surprising to me that my Air scores 22000 in the metal bench!. I would argue that the 8 core GPU Air is the best option.

Apple never told us this about the base model iMac. It's only got one fan and an inferior heat sink instead of a heat pipe cooling system. :confused:

Last edited:
Apple never told us this about the base model iMac. It's only got one fan and an inferior heat sink instead of a heat pipe cooling system. :confused:

The real current base model iMac is powered by a dual-core Kaby Lake Intel Core CPU.

The real current base model iMac is powered by a dual-core Kaby Lake Intel Core CPU.

... as well as 3, 27", 10th gen Intel Core versions at the other end of the iMac model range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back