Contribute
Register

New 24" M1 iMacs come in 7 Colors / Orders starting on April 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.
The odds of the CPU, GPU, RAM, or SSD going bad are extremely minute.
When you look at the track record of A series chips Apple has used in phones and tablets, it's not likely the M1 CPU will fail. The iGPU in everything I've used (Intel or other brands) has never failed. Today's ram and SSDs are very reliable too so I think these can last a very long time. If any component is faulty you've always got the included 1 year of Apple Care to fall back on. If it's going to have problems they'll show up right away, most likely.

Was just looking at how much ram iMacs came with 8-9 years ago in 2012/2013. The base ram configuration (non-upgradable after purchase) in the 21.5" iMac was 8GB.
View attachment 516232

So why is Apple not making the base 24" 2021 iMac have 16GB to prepare it for the lifetime, possibly 10 years, of the new iMacs ? To go from 8 to 16GB doesn't cost them that much money. Just makes no sense to me. Most people will opt for the $1500 model and also pay the taxes on top of that. If Apple can't even add in that extra 8GB instead of charging the extra $200 to get 16GB it's really a deal breaker for me.

This Late 2013 iMac can still run Catalina or Big Sur quite easily for general use scenarios. In 2029 I have to wonder if the latest M1 iMac will still be useful. I know, Apple wants customers to buy a new one every 6 years or less. Most people keep their iMacs a lot longer than that. I was just helping someone with their 21.5 inch Late 2009 iMac yesterday and it still works great, display looks great. Really no problems except that they are stuck on High Sierra and can't use the newer version Mac App Store.

View attachment 516233
GDDR5 GT710, wonder if it’s an Asus?

I spent most of the day yesterday working on a friends mid 2011 iMac. Ram upgrade from 4GB to 16GB, and then the fun part. HD to SSD 1TB required a trip to Micro Center to get suction cups and a Torx 10 driver.

It took the sandy bridge i5 almost two hours to finish Carbon Copy Cloner with 93GB on the drive after the ram increase. Midnight came and the upgrade from El Capitan to Sierra finally finished. High Sierra just wouldn’t take it would load up the MacOS Install Data Folder but not finish the install. Forcing a reboot after an hour only made the folder disappear from the drive.

I should’ve just removed his original drive and did everything on my Ryzen 5900x. That would’ve saved at least 3-4 hours time. It to would have been worth the 15 min drive in each way.

Part of the appeal of the M1 MacBook Air to me is the lack of any moving parts. The odds of the CPU, GPU, RAM, or SSD going bad are extremely minute. There should be no reason why it couldn't still be operational decades from now.
Solder. My neighbors old MacBook Pro had issues with the Nvidia card. They used a low grade solder and it caused oxidation which led to a minuscule amount of conductivity resulting in heat from voltage drop and eventual burnout.
As long as the components and materials are good the M1s should last but if they skimped on something it won’t show up for several years.

Who knows, maybe they are working on a Pro version that will allow users to upgrade Ram, SSD and use PCIe slots? That would be more expensive up front but would also attract more tepid old school customers.

Solder. My neighbors old MacBook Pro had issues with the Nvidia card. They used a low grade solder and it caused oxidation which led to a minuscule amount of conductivity resulting in heat from voltage drop and eventual burnout.
As long as the components and materials are good the M1s should last but if they skimped on something it won’t show up for several years.

Who knows, maybe they are working on a Pro version that will allow users to upgrade Ram, SSD and use PCIe slots? That would be more expensive up front but would also attract more tepid old school customers.

Yeah, I remember the Nvidia solder fiasco. I had to bake an 8800GT to reflow it and bring it back to life.

Another thing to consider is how much larger the logic boards were on those older systems. That combined with the polycarbonate cases led to a lot of body flex which didn't help the questionable solder...

I spent most of the day yesterday working on a friends mid 2011 iMac. Ram upgrade from 4GB to 16GB, and then the fun part. HD to SSD 1TB required a trip to Micro Center to get suction cups and a Torx 10 driver.
You could have used the plunger in their bathroom. Just clean it with bleach first. LOL

At least the 2011 models still have the magnets holding the glass in place. 2012 and newer have to be cut away from the chassis then later on you need to reapply tape to "glue" it back in. A real PITA. The Late 2009 iMacs can run even Catalina fairly decently with patching because they had a Nvidia GPU that works better than the older AMD cards of the era. The ones that failed so frequently. Upgrading to an SSD is pretty much mandatory because you have to use APFS with Catalina. Mechanical HDDs and APFS = slower than molasses in January speeds. Boot times of 3-5 minutes etc.

Here's an idea that Apple may not have considered for the front bezels.

For the blue, purple and green editions, why not use the color on the back of the display in place of the white glass frame around the monitor ? That's something that could work much better than white. With the saturated purple color shown below it could actually work quite well in my opinion. Not as good as black but much better than white.

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpeg

1619399110329.png

Make the Silver edition bezels black again, like the classic iMac look and leave the red, yellow and orange iMacs with the same white glass bezels they have now. Then potential buyers get to choose exactly what they want. Light white bezels or something darker that matches with the color of the chin and base. I should email [email protected] to let him know about this. Not that my opinion matters much within the Apple ecosystem.

Last edited:
Here's an idea that Apple may not have considered for the front bezels.

For the blue, purple and green editions, why not use the color on the back of the display in place of the white glass frame around the monitor ? That's something that could work much better than white. With the saturated purple color shown below it could actually work quite well in my opinion. Not as good as black but much better than white.

View attachment 516361

View attachment 516362
Make the Silver edition bezels black again, like the classic iMac look and leave the red, yellow and orange iMacs with the same white glass bezels they have now. Then potential buyers get to choose exactly what they want. Light white bezels or something darker that matches with the color of the chin and base. I should email [email protected] to let him know about this. Not that my opinion matters much within the Apple ecosystem.

Well it's taken some time for the penny to drop here, but I only just realised the colours chosen for the new iMacs are the same colours as in the original Apple logo + Silver.

Doh!:rolleyes:

the new iMacs are the same colours as in the original Apple logo
Yes the colours of the rainbow although in a different sequence than one that you'd see in the sky when the sun comes out after it rains. The Apple logo is missing the darker purple color that you find on the back of the new purple iMac. Quite an ingenius idea. I noticed by looking back at the G3 iMacs, they called the colors ruby red and other more descriptive titles.

1619522145845.png
1619522620018.png

If you put the colors of the Apple logo in sequence of the color spectrum, it doesn't look quite right when the top is red and green and the bright yellow are in the middle.

1619522853613.png

Last edited:
Yes the colours of the rainbow although in a different sequence than one that you'd see in the sky when the sun comes out after it rains. The Apple logo is missing the darker purple color that you find on the back of the new purple iMac. Quite an ingenius idea. I noticed by looking back at the G3 iMacs, they called the colors ruby red and other more descriptive titles.

View attachment 516558 View attachment 516560

If you put the colors of the Apple logo in sequence of the color spectrum, it doesn't look quite right when the top is red and green and the bright yellow are in the middle.

View attachment 516562
WARNING: Pedantic comment ahead! This comment will no doubt be quickly deleted as it has nothing to do with Macs/Hacks - as was my last about the limbs of @pastrychef was - but rainbows don't happen AFTER it rains but only DURING rain (or when there is mist like at a waterfall).

Today's the first day you can order an M1 iMac. A few things I don't understand.

Why does the $1,699 iMac even exist separately ? It's only got a 256GB SSD upgrade over the $1,499 iMac.
Screen Shot 18.jpg

Also, why is the shipping already pushed back to June ? Do they have that many orders in just one day ?

Screen Shot 20.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back