Contribute
Register

New 24" M1 iMacs come in 7 Colors / Orders starting on April 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re
they put the computer inside the stand of the monitor. ...
I think it a nicer form factor and Im sure Apple could have done it better.

Interested in the discussion of form factors. I was disappointed with the original set of M1's for having the same form factors as their predecessors. I was hoping for a small silver box computer (I imagined a quarter of the size of the mini) with only a single thunderbolt connector - with the expectation that everything else would be in the monitor, and that where you go will have a monitor and keyboard etc.

Re

I think it a nicer form factor and Im sure Apple could have done it better.

Interested in the discussion of form factors. I was disappointed with the original set of M1's for having the same form factors as their predecessors. I was hoping for a small silver box computer (I imagined a quarter of the size of the mini) with only a single thunderbolt connector - with the expectation that everything else would be in the monitor, with the expectation that where you go will have a monitor and keyboard etc.

Technically, I think they could have made it in the form factor of something like an Amazon Fire TV Stick. I think that would be really cool.

Technically, I think they could have made it in the form factor of something like an Amazon Fire TV Stick. I think that would be really cool.

I think the electrical power and data throughput of Thunderbolt/USB4 and it's acceptance as a standard is a game changer for form factors.

Im waiting on an M? iPhone, running MacOS - a phone until you stick into a thunderbolt dock.

Was just looking at how much ram iMacs came with 8-9 years ago in 2012/2013. The base ram configuration (non-upgradable after purchase) in the 21.5" iMac was 8GB.
Screen Shot 1.jpg

So why is Apple not making the base 24" 2021 iMac have 16GB to prepare it for the lifetime, possibly 10 years, of the new iMacs ? To go from 8 to 16GB doesn't cost them that much money. Just makes no sense to me. Most people will opt for the $1500 model and also pay the taxes on top of that. If Apple can't even add in that extra 8GB instead of charging the extra $200 to get 16GB it's really a deal breaker for me.

This Late 2013 iMac can still run Catalina or Big Sur quite easily for general use scenarios. In 2029 I have to wonder if the latest M1 iMac will still be useful. I know, Apple wants customers to buy a new one every 6 years or less. Most people keep their iMacs a lot longer than that. I was just helping someone with their 21.5 inch Late 2009 iMac yesterday and it still works great, display looks great. Really no problems except that they are stuck on High Sierra and can't use the newer version Mac App Store.

Screen Shot 2.jpg

Last edited:
Was just looking at how much ram iMacs came with 8 years ago in 2013. The base ram configuration (non-upgradable after purchase) in the 21.5" iMac was 8GB.
View attachment 516232

So why is Apple not making the base 24" 2021 iMac have 16GB to prepare it for the lifetime, possibly 10 years, of the new iMacs ? To go from 8 to 16GB doesn't cost them that much money. Just makes no sense to me. Most people will opt for the $1500 model and also pay the taxes on top of that. If Apple can't even add in that extra 8GB instead of charging the extra $200 to get 16GB it's really a deal breaker for me.

This Late 2013 iMac can still run Catalina or Big Sur quite easily for general use scenarios. In 2029 I have to wonder if the latest M1 iMac will still be useful. I know, Apple wants customers to buy a new one every 6 years or less. Most people keep their iMacs a lot longer than that. I was just helping someone with their 21.5 inch Late 2009 iMac yesterday and it still works great, display looks great. Really no problems except that they are stuck on High Sierra and can't use the newer version Mac App Store.

View attachment 516233

Planned obsolescence. Think of those old MacBook Airs with 2 or 4GB. While, technically, it should be perfectly fine for surfing the internet, I wouldn't want to use those things for the lack of RAM. IMO, RAM deficient systems are painful to use.

That's why, as much as I want an Apple Silicon system to play with, I'm waiting for something with at least a 32GB option.

This Timetec DDR4 ram is exactly what went into the 2018 Mac mini and 2019 iMac. 32GB for under $163 is the retail price. That comes to about $41 per 8GB. A 16GB dual channel kit costs $83 so just $41.50 per 8GB.

Apple buys in huge quantities so they don't pay Hynix retail prices for ram. They get a much better deal than $41 per 8GB So-DIMM. I'd have no problem with a $50 upgrade price to get 16GB. A little more than the retail rate.

Apple charges 5x that retail price, $200, to upgrade from 8GB to 16GB on the new iMacs. You don't need to be math genius to see this is blatant price gouging. Apple can do this because you get no other choice but to buy it with 16GB from the factory. A company valued at 2 Trillion + with 250 billion cash in the bank needs to price gouge on ram upgrades ?

Screen Shot 10.jpg

Last edited:
This Timetec DDR4 ram is exactly what went into the 2018 Mac mini and 2019 iMac. 32GB for under $163 is the retail price. That comes to about $41 per 8GB. A 16GB dual channel kit costs $83 so just $41.50 per 8GB.

Apple buys in huge quantities so they don't pay Hynix retail prices for ram. They get a much better deal than $41 per 8GB So-DIMM. I'd have no problem with a $50 upgrade price to get 16GB. A little more than the retail rate.

Apple charges 5x that retail price, $200, to upgrade from 8GB to 16GB on the new iMacs. You don't need to be math genius to see this is blatant price gouging. Apple can do this because you get no other choice but to buy it with 16GB from the factory. A company valued at 2 Trillion + with 250 billion cash in the bank needs to price gouge on ram upgrades ?

View attachment 516241

To be fair, the RAM on the M1 are much denser. 8 or 16GB are crammed in to two chips whereas modules like the Timetec example use 8 or 16 chips per module.

apple-m1-macbook-teardowns-reveal-surprises.jpg

That being said, Apple has been price gouging on RAM and SSD for years. It's nothing new.

Honestly, we are in 2021. I think it's time for Apple to make 16GB the base.

Here's some of the original iMac G3 TV ads. Most are for the US market but a few are in German.

Many of these I had never seen before watching this. Many have really good music. Some is from Elvis, Rolling Stones and Cream. Even Jeff Goldblum was in a good number of the ads.

Will be interesting to compare these to the new 2021 iMac M1 tv ads.
I just want to add that the processor that powered the original iMac landed on Mars recently, the PowerPC 750. I don't know if they painted it Saffron Yellow.

I know, Apple wants customers to buy a new one every 6 years or less.
I think that new M1 computers are calculated to work about ...two to three years. There is no possibility of repair in the future after the guarantee period. This is SoC so even SSD, RAM is integrated. Any failure SSD, RAM etc and the computer can be thrown away. No matter that only one component may be damaged - everything will thrown in the trashcan .
I use very solid desktop Lenovo computers - one 8 years old and second ...12 years old. Meanwhile upgrade CPU, RAM, SSD ...When I need it of course and at the lowest prices. For example SSD 512 GB drive today cost 80$ . Eight years ago when my Lenovo launch SSD 512 GB drive cost maybe...2000$ .
So imagine that if You add 2 TB SSD (600$) to M1 computer now (no need now but no upgrade possible in future ) for about three years this same SSD will cost maybe 200$ , for about six years maybe 100$ etc.
So even if You don't need now 2 TB drive , You must buy this now because no upgrade in the future. Or stay with 256/512 GB and sell computer after a two/three years.

I think that new M1 computers are calculated to work about ...two to three years. There is no possibility of repair in the future after the guarantee period. This is SoC so even SSD, RAM is integrated. Any failure SSD, RAM etc and the computer can be thrown away. No matter that only one component may be damaged - everything will thrown in the trashcan .
I use very solid desktop Lenovo computers - one 8 years old and second ...12 years old. Meanwhile upgrade CPU, RAM, SSD ...When I need it of course and at the lowest prices. For example SSD 512 GB drive today cost 80$ . Eight years ago when my Lenovo launch SSD 512 GB drive cost maybe...2000$ .
So imagine that if You add 2 TB SSD (600$) to M1 computer now (no need now but no upgrade possible in future ) for about three years this same SSD will cost maybe 200$ , for about six years maybe 100$ etc.

Part of the appeal of the M1 MacBook Air to me is the lack of any moving parts. The odds of the CPU, GPU, RAM, or SSD going bad are extremely minute. There should be no reason why it couldn't still be operational decades from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back