Contribute
Register

New 24" M1 iMacs come in 7 Colors / Orders starting on April 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is interesting, Daniel from Zone of Tech YT channel photo shopped in black bezels on the new Silver iMac and compared it to the older 21.5" iMac. Now you can see why they didn't go with black. It looks too much like the old iMac and it really wouldn't work with all of the 6 other pastel colors in the front. IMO it would have been nice to at least sell the Silver version with the classic iMac look. That would be the best option for longtime iMac customers. My guess is that some company will sell something that attaches to the white glass bezels and makes them look black for those that just can't tolerate the white border.

Screen Shot 1.jpg

I don't see the chin as a problem. Many people posting online claim it should be completely removed and that it's ugly. Not really. It gives the iMac character that most all PC AIOs don't have. Now, the first Intel iMac back in 2006 had a really huge chin that just looked ridiculous. It was made of white plastic too. Would have never considered buying that iMac.

1619128920266.png

Last edited:
that’s their whole idea. adopting the smartphone model. one unified monolithic piece. Customer has to buy an entire new unit to upgrade (more RAM, more storage or new cpu).

This is from "Eco-Conscious, cares about the Earth, super green Apple" too..
smh

Re Chin - I would have preferred no chin which they could have done by pushing the innards up and behind the screen so there would have been a 20mm thick block at the bottom. The other thought was to put the cpu and bits into in the base of the stand, either way I think would have been nicer without the chin.

Last edited:
This is interesting, Daniel from Zone of Tech YT channel photo shopped in black bezels on the new Silver iMac and compared it to the older 21.5" iMac. Now you can see why they didn't go with black. It looks too much like the old iMac and it really wouldn't work with all of the 6 other pastel colors in the front. IMO it would have been nice to at least sell the Silver version with the classic iMac look. That would be the best option for longtime iMac customers. My guess is that some company will sell something that attaches to the white glass bezels and makes them look black for those that just can't tolerate the white border.

View attachment 515962

I don't see the chin as a problem. Many people posting online claim it should be completely removed and that it's ugly. Not really. It gives the iMac character that most all PC AIOs don't have. Now, the first Intel iMac back in 2006 had a really huge chin that just looked ridiculous. It was made of white plastic too. Would have never considered buying that iMac.

Black and white go with everything. What they tend to do, though, is change the perception of the color - white tends to make colors less intense, and black tends to make them pop more. Perhaps Apple is using white in order to mute the tones of the machine to help with the illusion of the "disappearing computer".

I personally prefer a darker frame - in my environment that frame disappears where a white one will not. I suspect anyone working in a darkened environment would have the same experience.

Here's what most people were hoping for, something that looked more like an XDR Pro display with a computer inside. Looks nice but there are many consumers that wouldn't go with this. The price probably would have been higher too. It looks like just another monitor and not a computer.

Screen Shot 10.jpg

Apple didn't think black bezels would work with all of the 6 colors (- silver) of the new iMacs. The pink model wouldn't work at all. That's why they went with white. It could work with the yellow, blue and purple versions though. Red, green and orange, not so much.

external-content_duckduckgo_com.png

Last edited:
Yes, and I also should have said, because black is too far away from the tone of the color, so the contrast between the two is too high.

I don't mind the chin. The white bezels are a definite problem. The lack of the logo makes it look like a counterfeit.
The biggest sticking point is: Would I even consider buying a 24" 4.5K monitor for any computer I own? Highly unlikely, and Apple is charging a premium for that screen. I'm sure it looks great but it's overkill resolution vs the size IMO - at least for my older eyes.
If the new iMac was attached to a 34" 2K (curved?) widescreen or 32" 4K+, then I might consider buying one. With 3 years of AppleCare being a necessity because it's an appliance, not a PC.

Back when Apple was working on the Cheese Grater #2 (7,1 MP) they brought in pro users to give them direct feedback on what they wanted in the new MP. This recent iMac refresh seems to be the complete opposite approach. The team working on it must have been thinking "let's make it a complete break from the past 12 years of silver and black iMacs." They did kind of go with retro color choices from the original iMacs of 20+ years ago. They really didn't listen to what any of their customers wanted. From what I've read online, most wanted no chin and ultra thin bezels. Kind of like the Pro display XDR that Apple sells.

I don't think anyone imagined the iMac itself would be 11.3 mm thin. Not sure what advantage that gives other than a much lighter weight for shipping them. Seems to be mostly about "look how thin we can make it." At least the 3.5 mm headphone jack is still included and it's where you can reach it.

Last edited:
Yep, there's a reason that their marketing shows lots of shots of the side and back of the new iMac. My favorite picture is the profile shot of the little girl with her face 10" away from the screen. I assume she's trying to read some text. ;)

Apple says that "everything looks incredible". All about looks.

So whether you’re editing photos, working on presentations, or watching your favorite shows and movies, everything looks incredible on iMac.

computer disappear.png

Looking good is not a trivial thing (although Apple do seem a bit smug with it) but didnt Tim also say something about making the computer disappear - The chin is being made pretty but if it dont need to be there, it seems senseless it being there. The only technical downside I can see to not having a chin is about where you put the speakers (and that may be a show stopper) - otherwise it just seems to work better if its all in the base. With the ports on the base as standard and a vesa mount that held both the monitor and base, it would all but make the computer disappear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back