Contribute
Register

New 24" M1 iMacs come in 7 Colors / Orders starting on April 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not modded mine, no need for my usage and not until guarantee expires.
That's very sensible of you. I'm already thinking about trading in, and to me the iPad Pro with the floating keyboard is almost a baby Pro iMac, very attractive to me.

There's a hack for the fanless Airs which allows them to work hard for as long as the M1 MBPro and Mini's - its just a couple of thermal pads joining the SoC to the bottom casing. The issue is that the bottom gets just a bit too hot to have on your lap. With the iMacs being about 3 or 4 times the area of the laptops I think youre right - that they could have had passive cooling without affecting performance at all. Given where they are It wouldn't have been hard to design it so you can swap the fans without opening it but I dont suppose they have.

Yeah. I know about the thermal pad mod. If I had a MacBook Air, I'd def do it. I can probably count the number of times I've used a laptop on my lap with the fingers on one hand.

Here's a rumor I've not heard anywhere else. iCave Dave from the UK is claiming there could be a May event that reveals M1X MBPs and iMacs. I don't give this much chance of happening but he thinks it's possible. Interesting ideas. The video will start right at the point he mentions this. So many people, especially YouTubers, buy these new iMacs just to review them, then return them to Apple for a refund. He's saying Apple is worried about buyer's purchasing 24" models only to send them back once the 30/32" iMacs come out. I don't think that's likely given the major price difference between these iMacs and yet to be released M1X iMacs. I'd estimate those will sell in a price range of $1999 base model to $3600 for a maxed out iMac. A lot more performance but also a much larger price tag. Returns are not a big deal for Apple anyway. They simply reinstall Big Sur, list it as Apple certified refurbished and sell it again at a modestly discounted price on Apple.com. No big deal.

Last edited:
The new iMac reveal makes me even happier with my purchase of the Mini in December. Mini has much better bang for the buck. It's more powerful (8 vs 7 graphics cores) and expandable (w/ 4 ports) than the entry level iMac.
Buy a Mini w/16 GB RAM and a 3rd party external NVME SSD and you've got a capable system.
I've only got 8GB in my Mini because I was impatient, but I can buy another 16GB+ Mini down the road if I need it and have 2 systems for the price of a fully configured iMac. There's always a place somewhere in the house for an extra Mini.

- I'm already thinking about trading in, and to me the iPad Pro with the floating keyboard is almost a baby Pro iMac, very attractive to me.

I'd jump to the Ipad if it ran OSX, as far as I can see there's no reason it couldn't - they just need to get OSX touch friendly

they just need to get OSX touch friendly
I've seen hacked PC laptops with touchscreens running macOS nearly perfectly. Can't be that hard for Apple to do this.

New iMac with only 8 GB and 256 GB SSD - no upgrade possible.
The market price difference between 8 GB and 16 GB is only 30$ and
also about 30$ is more expensive 512 SSD ...
Look at benchmarks: https://browser.geekbench.com/processor-benchmarks
Where is M1 chip ? M1 cannot compete in any way with Intel or AMD.
Yes Apple leaves the Intel market but now doesn't offer even similar performance.
ARM CPUs increases performance max 20 % year to year...
So for about 15 years Mxxx chip will be as good as top intel or AMD.

Attachments

• arm3.jpg
    arm3.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 41
New iMac with only 8 GB and 256 GB SSD - no upgrade possible.
The market price difference between 8 GB and 16 GB is only 30$ and
also about 30$ is more expensive 512 SSD ...
Look at benchmarks: https://browser.geekbench.com/processor-benchmarks
Where is M1 chip ? M1 cannot compete in any way with Intel or AMD.
Yes Apple leaves the Intel market but now doesn't offer even similar performance.
ARM CPUs increases performance max 20 % year to year...
So for about 15 years Mxxx chip will be as good as top intel or AMD.

As far as I can tell, none of the CPUs from your link can keep up with an M1 in single core performance.

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 3.00.44 PM.png

Here are some M1s...
Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 3.01.53 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back