Contribute
Register

New 24" M1 iMacs come in 7 Colors / Orders starting on April 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why it's even more important than ever to make wise decisions when choosing options.
Such as upgrading the ram to the maximum available. Do you think these new iMacs will let you spec up to 32 GB ? I think that will be an option on the 30/32" iMac later this year. These will probably max out at 16GB.

Yeah, unfortunately, I think all Macs going forward will be pretty much disposable products with nothing (realistically) upgradeable.

That's why it's even more important than ever to make wise decisions when choosing options.

Buying a Mac Mini M1 was bad enough I really couldn't splash the cash on a disposable iMac. What's more the keyboard and mouse are disposable too. My own Magic Mouse is a 1st Gen using AA rechargables. I really don't like the whole tech scene is becoming so "throw away". Can't be good for the environment ...

Such as upgrading the ram to the maximum available. Do you think these new iMacs will let you spec up to 32 GB ? I think that will be an option on the 30/32" iMac later this year. These will probably max out at 16GB.

Have you seen Aaron Zollo's review of the Mac Mini M1? He bought the top of the range, 2TB SSD 16GB model. The price was eye-watering...

He bought the top of the range, 2TB SSD 16GB model. The price was eye-watering...
He's got close to 1 million subscribers to his YT channel. He puts out a video almost every day. He has sponsors that pay him too. He's making enough cash to afford it. Even Apple likes him, they send him some Macs for free.

Screen Shot 1.jpg

He's got close to 1 million subscribers to his YT channel. He puts out a video almost every day. He has sponsors that pay him too. He's making enough cash to afford it. Even Apple likes him, they send him some Macs for free.

View attachment 515760

Agreed, but he's demo-ing things you could really buy - if you had deep enough pockets. My point (not very well made) is that Apple does offer higher specs but "wow!" at what price.

Apple does offer higher specs but "wow!" at what price.
Yep, the maxed out M1 mini costs about $1900 USD when sales tax is added. That's some serious markup on the ram and storage.

Looks amazing, and the speed boosts look significant (rather than just the usual incremental steps).

The 24" screen is a nice improvement over 21", and tempting. (21" was too small. 24" is acceptable).

But I'm disappointed they didn't offer a 27" version as well (or will it be 30"?). I've lusted after a large screen iMac for a couple of years. But I've been delaying the purchase for one reason or another for the last 2 years... and then Apple's switch from Intel to Apple silicon has added another year or so to the wait.

Hopefully the 27" (30"?) will come out in the autumn. Really wish I didn't have to keep waiting. But at least we're in the home stretch.

P.S. Still have reservations about a combo computer/monitor. It's a sublime when new, but a good monitor should last a lot longer than the computer. My current monitor (a high end 24" Dell 1920:1080) is over 12 years old, and still does a nice job. It's outlasted... 3 computers? Maybe 4?

And if I'm not mistaken you *can't* use an older iMac as an second monitor, right?

My guess is that they will have the same options as the M1 Mac mini, MacBook, and MacBook Pro.

Buying a Mac Mini M1 was bad enough I really couldn't splash the cash on a disposable iMac. What's more the keyboard and mouse are disposable too. My own Magic Mouse is a 1st Gen using AA rechargables. I really don't like the whole tech scene is becoming so "throw away". Can't be good for the environment ...

Yeah, I don't like the non-replaceable batteries either. That's why I keep my first gen Magic Mouse around as well.

That being said, after using my second gen Magic Mouse for quite a few years, the battery still holds a good charge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back