Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello all new here and as the title says I've never built a computer. I've been using Mac since 2006 so until recently I always just purchased apple computers. Long story short I no longer have a pretty 27 inch iMac from a couple years ago and I don't have 2-$3000 to drop on a new one and my macbook is just now powerful enough to handle what I'm doing. With that said I'm not a power user...I do not game Nor do I edit video. I do however do music production but at a very amatuer level, I use logic but for right now just an 8 track FireWire audio interface recording and editing songs with a max of 30 simultaneous tracks so nothing heavy duty and only a single screen. I've done some research and want to build a hackintosh that I can grow on for a while but on a budget. I Hope to not sound too ignorant so bare with me. This is what I have narrowed it to:

Gigabyte GA-Z87-DS3H
Intel Core i5 4670 3.4ghz
Kingston hyperx red 8gb(2x4gb) 1600
Corsair 650TX
Corsair force L's 60gb SSD
WD blue 1TB
TP-Link N900 TL-WDN4800
Roswill ATX game case

Went with the i5 thinking down the line I can update it if I want but was decent enough. 8gb memory which I'll upgrade to 16gb eventually. 60gb SSD just to keep the OS and logic. There is no graphics card in the mix because while on a budget and not gaming I figured the Graphics built into the motherboard would be enough for now. I was looking for some input on this or any suggestions you guys may have. Thanks

Rob

Looks good to me.

If you're planning to use that Firewire interface, make sure you get an OSX-compatible Firewire PCI or PCIe card. (Firewire 400 or 800?) There are probably some hardware suggestions around here for FW cards that work.

Also keep in mind that onboard graphics are actually a CPU component, so double check that your CPU has compatible graphics. It's been my experience that Logic (and other Apple pro apps) won't run without fully QE/CI enabled graphics.

Also., nothing wrong with an i5. You could probably even use an i3 and be fine (again, so long as it has compatible graphics.)

Also, how much is that 60GB SSD? I see those for $70 on Newegg.

Meanwhile, a 120GB Kingston V300 or 120GB Crucial M500 are only around $75.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back