Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I got tired of my Macbook 2GHz C2D and sick of prices of new i5 MBP or iMac i5/i7
so i started today to buy parts on ebay for a hackintosh, what i got today:
i5-750 - 110 EUR (eBay, used)
P55M-UD4 - 105 EUR (eBay, new)
G5 Dual 2GHZ - 85 EUR :D (eBay, but for sale again)
PSU BeQuiet E6-500W - 30 EUR (eBay, like new)
DVD Drive - LG GSA-4167B (it was once in my old G5 5-6 years ago)

Edit: new part:
G.Skill 4GB KIT ECO PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 CL7 1.35 V - 113 EUR (online store)
Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II - 60 EUR (online store)
GPU - GigaByte GV-N98TSL-1GI Silent Cell - 116 EUR (online store)

now have to order Lian Li PC-V351 Case (80 EUR), I'm dumping the G5 build idea

GPU i'm aiming for GigaByte 1024MB 9800GT PCIe Silent Cell - 140 EUR
RAM don't know yet.
HDD maybe some 1TB SATA HDD or SSD <-- any suggestions for a good 1TB HDD?

This is my first Desktop in like 5-6 years, last one was a G5 Mac Dual 2.0GHz but I use my Macbook mostly with my Dell 24" so why not build something.
The G5 case had all in it but RAM and HDD, so I got some ram and will install OSX to see if it works then can sell the G5 MoBo and CPU's so this build may cost me less than 400-500 Euro
I'll try do some clean MoBo install w/o cutting the G5 case.

Any thing I should watch for or any suggestions?

I'll use it mostly for some web browsing, VM in VmWare and some Photoshop and Photo edit.

xequtor,

Based on your selection of PSU and Silent Cell, I assume you are aiming for a silent Hack.

I terms of RAM, I can recommend you the G.Skill Eco... Those run at lower voltage, thus produce less heat, keeping your hack cooler.
In addition, being low-profile, it allows you to install huge coolers (like my Mugen-2), so it'll also contribute to silence...
For HDD, I definitely recommend the Spinpoint F3, as it provides a great balance of performance and noise. Much better than Westerns...

As for VMWare, you can save the money and go with the free VirtualBox... It works flawlessly.

Good Luck,
Lnx2Mac

lnx2mac said:
xequtor,

Based on your selection of PSU and Silent Cell, I assume you are aiming for a silent Hack.

yes, as silent as possible :) hate noise.

Edit:
to buy:
G.Skill 4GB KIT ECO PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 CL7 1.35 V - 113 EUR or 8GB for 224 EUR
Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II - 65 EUR or should I get 2 maybe for RAID?
maybe Intel X25-M G2 Postville 80GB SSD - 180 EUR

so my total will be 623 EUR minus what I get when I sell G5 parts.

lnx2mac,

will 8GB RAM make big diff compare to 4GB? is it wort additional 113 EUR?

I can get the i7-860 2.8GHz for 80 EUR more as the i5-750, is it worth the extra 80 EUR?

xequtor said:
yes, as silent as possible :) hate noise.
Welcome to the club ;)

xequtor said:
will 8GB RAM make big diff compare to 4GB? is it wort additional 113 EUR?
It all depends on your software requirements.
I do need that much mainly for software development / Virtualbox and video editing...
You can never have too much money or RAM ;)
As for you, I think Photoshop loves loads of RAM...

xequtor said:
I can get the i7-860 2.8GHz for 80 EUR more as the i5-750, is it worth the extra 80 EUR?
Tough question...
For me, every second I can chop off long compilations or video renders it's worth it.

Regarding RAM, you could start with 2 x 2GB and not burn any bridges...That might be a good way to go...If it is enough, great, if not add more...

cakemonster said:
Regarding RAM, you could start with 2 x 2GB and not burn any bridges...That might be a good way to go...If it is enough, great, if not add more...

yeah, that's what I`m going to do, but is not better to buy a pair 4x2? what is the advantage of buying a paired 2x4 vs. twice 2x2? if any.

xequtor said:
cakemonster said:

yeah, that's what I`m going to do, but is not better to buy a pair 4x2? what is the advantage of buying a paired 2x4 vs. twice 2x2? if any.
Theoretically, the vendors test the 4 DIMMs as a complete set... Supposedly lowering incompatibilities.
Practically, this sounds to me as marketing BS.

Un-intuitively, in many cases, buying 2 sets of 2x2GB will be cheaper than a single 4x2GB.

I also wanted to build a Hackintosh as silent as possible but the hardest thing was to find a harddisk. I finally discovered WD's AVVS series which aren't the fastest but more quiet than even all 2,5" disks I checked. Now (the HDD of) my MBP is "louder" than my PC.

Off-Topic: As you seem to care about noise and own a G5; I just bought a G5 on eBay (with graphic defect) can you hear the fans or is the HDD the only part making noise?

arw said:
I also wanted to build a Hackintosh as silent as possible but the hardest thing was to find a harddisk. I finally discovered WD's AVVS series which aren't the fastest but more quiet than even all 2,5" disks I checked. Now (the HDD of) my MBP is "louder" than my PC.

They aren't cheap, but grab a Silverstone FT02 if you like silent. :)
http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Alumi ... B0030MHEKY

Seems like the US is finally getting the Silver with window too! :D
http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-FT02S ... B003H4QPDW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back