Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
CPU
i5-2500K
Graphics
EVGA GTX1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0
Hey Guys,

I'm kinda new to the whole hack/mac thing and I've only had one snag in my build, and that was getting my wireless networking going nicely with my Airport Express wi-fi router. I've heard of a variety of solutions that have a range of simple (usb) to more technical (build your airport card). I've also heard the various ups and downs of those and was struggling to make a decision, but then I was walking my local Best Buy this afternoon and stumbled upon this: Netgear WNCE3001

I brought it home, and it was working in 5 minutes. Awesome, connects to Airpot Express network with no problem. I installed my motherboards ethernet drivers using MultiBeast and it worked almost instantly. Seriously amazing and simple. I'm getting the same Speedtest scores on it as my macbook pro and my ipad. As an added benefit, it only takes up the ethernet port, and the cables included are long enough that you can hide it easy, so I can hardly tell its even there.

Overall, I'd say its a fairly simple and easy way to get wifi working on your hackintosh. Hope this helps!

tl;dr: For really easy wi-fi check out Netgear WNCE3001. There is a cheaper version, but I didn't test that.

interesting idea
so this is really designed for a ethernet enabled device like a blueray player and if i have this right you have simply plugged this into the existing ethernet port on the back of your hackintosh?
is it working ok on lion?
My systems ethernet port works fine but i have just had to move my system to another part of the house and cant an ethernet cable to that area and my wifi dongle is giving me grief so you reckon your solution should work ok?
One question: how does this connect to your existing wifi network? Mine is wpk2 protected with a password of course so how does one get it to join your existing wireless network and input the password for it?

cheers

Yeah, I'm on lion, 10.7.3. It requires no software to run this guy. To setup, you plug it in to your Ethernet, then go to an address that comes in the manual. This will send you to a web page saved locally in the router, which lets you config it. I have a password on mine to, so I just set that up, hit save....and viola!

I think it had a small onboard chip that takes in the wifi signal and then pumps it to the Ethernet cable, so your computer just thinks the signal is coming off any regular router. It's pretty neat. It was a great find, albeit a bit expensive than some other solutions out there, but I think the ease is worth it. I'm dual booting lion and windows 7, worked no problem on both.

awesome i just ordered one a bit dear but im sick of wifi issues so its cheap compared to the price of stress!

Awesome. Good luck! I actually left it on over night downloading that new game Rage, and it kept working no problem..all 25 gigs!

erikb42 said:
Awesome. Good luck! I actually left it on over night downloading that new game Rage, and it kept working no problem..all 25 gigs!

sweet
will be interested to see what happens if it goes to sleep on my system or not

Awesome, this seems like it should solve all my problems! Thank you.

Chaoslava said:
£50?! I built this hackintosh to save money... :rolleyes:

sounds a bit step but compared to the headache then the only other option is an ethernet cable

Just picked up the WNCE3001. Plug and play with Lion 10.7.4 & Win 7 dual boot. My brother had the idea and worked perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back