Contribute
Register

neilhart's ZS OC V1 build ... a new vertical case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilhart

Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming - ITX/ac
CPU
i7-7700T
Graphics
GTX960
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Some place on the web I came across mention of the ZS OC case and found zscases.com using Google.

ZS Cases appears to be located in Australia. The ZS OC V1 is a my kind of product that is (in my opinion) very “industrial” in design and appearance. The product shipped from China via DHL to my California USA address. The landed total cost in USD was $183 and change.

The case was shipped in a flat pack that had been well packaged and was free of damage. I found the parts to be good to the eye and the touch, no sharp edges and great finish. And better yet, everything fits. ZS provides the web site photos and no written assembly documentation. The web site encourages the reader to ask questions as needed.

IMG_2391.jpeg

This is the ZS OC assembled and running for the first time. I was not all that happy and proceeded to modify the PSU mounting. I moved it towards the rear to improve the cable management.
IMG_2403.jpg

I also moved the location of the 2.5 inch hard drive, also for better cable management.

Then I added an IO port board to the front seen here. This accessory board was from my salvage bin and I could not identify where it came from.

IMG_2407.jpg

Another view.
IMG_2410.jpg

This caused me to fabricate a new front panel. I used my PC CNC machine to cut the 4 USB ports. This is a major task as I do not have that much experience with CNC and I have to really think out the process both with software tools and the hardware.

The new front panel is 0.125 inch 6061 aluminum plate. I used my table saw to rip the needed long strip. I totally blew it and the table saw cut into my left hand thumb. This caused me to spend several hours getting stitches and generally slowed up my progress.

IMG_2414.jpg

This is a photo of the ports being cut, a in-process step, where the center part is retained by leaving small bridges which are easily removed by hand. My design was close but I still had to elongate the port a little using hand files.

The new front panel and the original
P5280738.jpg

and the drive activity LED and reset switch
HDD-Actv-Rset.jpg

This is the nearly finished panel mounted
IMG_2443.jpg

IMG_2445.jpg

and a few more photos.
IMG_2446.jpg

IMG_2448.jpg

and the GPU side
IMG_2449.jpg

looking down on the top of the system
IMG_2453.jpg

This system has an Intel i7-8700T CPU on a ASRock H310CM-ITX/ac motherboard with 16 GB memory and runs Apple macOS 10.15.7. TonyMac tools make it all possible.

Neil

Last edited:
Nice build! Reminds me of old 1930s Western Electric theater tube amps.

th
th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back