Contribute
Register

neilhart's scratch build SFF case project - My Way # 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was some what disappointed with the Silverstone SX650-G PSU in that the inlet power receptacle was oriented in the assembly turned 180 degrees from that of the ST45SF-G. I looked at several alternatives but finally decided that I needed the form of the ST45SF-G. My solution was to swap the PSU into one of my other hacks where the AC inlet orientation made no difference to that system.

I also found that the plastic air shield on the EVGA GTX 1060 exceeded M-ITX standard by about 3mm and impacted my desired PSU mount location. And I found that removing the shield was not as simple as it should have been. However I did get it apart without much damage to anything important ( I did have to install a band-aid to my left hand fore finger as I was leaving a bloody trail on the hack).

I used my belt sander mounted in the vise to quickly remove the offending material from the plastic shield. After re-assembly the modded GPU does not appear to be modded.

I proceeded to modding the PSU cables for best route with best appearance. I built a new 24 pin cable and the SATA power cable now feeds both SATA locations in a “Y” manner.

I found that I did not have any appropriate length SATA data cables so I ordered 8” (202mm) Left-going angle cables which should arrive in a day or two.

I will provide photos of this module after finishing the build. I have to still build the interface to the case and the local Power and Reset switches and LEDs.

And I am toying with the idea of doing a third module using aluminum instead of ABS for the frame work.

More to follow,
Neil

Well the good news is that it appears that my “on order” Dan case and Ghost S1 are both getting closer to shipping. The word is that Dan case ships before the end of the month.

Good timing as I see this project nearly complete.

As seen in this post, I have completed the second compute module and now just looking for the loose ends to tie up.

This table is to show the module configurations for comparisons.

ND-0.jpg

The system with the second module installed.
ND-1.jpg

ND-2.jpg

ND-4.jpg

and a shot of the second module.
ND-5.jpg

This is a wrap. However if anyone has a question I will attempt to respond in a short period of time.

Again this project was/is a time filler as I wait for the two cases that I have on order. While I would like this to be my last scratch build project, I know it is not. I have a third compute module started where the module frame will be made from aluminum instead of ABS.

Good modding,
neil

Cool.
What about temperature et noise ?
I am interesting with a 8700T build but fanless or maybe few considering to have a correct graphic card such RX570.
I don't know much like you so I will probably take a Streacom DB4 case for my project.

Cool.
What about temperature et noise ?
I am interesting with a 8700T build but fanless or maybe few considering to have a correct graphic card such RX570.
I don't know much like you so I will probably take a Streacom DB4 case for my project.

I am running with the first module in this case (i7-6700K) and the system is up 24/7 and is my "news" machine keeping an eye/ear on the world about me. The system idles in the low to mid 20's and will run Prime95 torture test without issue getting to mid to high 70's.

The system is about 2.5 feet from me and I do not it at all.

Good modding,
neil

Ok thanks.
I started to buy my DB4 case... a good price on amazon.de, there are still some left.
I think about getting a RX560 (75W) more than RX570 (150W).. I'm just wondering as there are not sold in fanless version if I can take off the air cooler and put a passive system instead... whether there are no security system to prevent damage and shut down the card... It's also hard to find 7700T or 8700T CPU... most are in SE version and not into a normal commercial one... to be continued
Have fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back