GTX960
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
*** Edit on 03/10/2013 - see the conclusion on post #25 page 3. neil ***
m15.jpg

Starting my scratch build case for the Intel DQ77KB motherboard (source Amazon) which I had pulled from the Loop project.

Currently on the MB:

Crucial M4 128GB mSATA SSD - source Amazon
SO DIMM DDR3 16GB 1600MHz memory, Komputerbay, -source Amazon
Intel i3-3225 CPU - source Amazon

And adding today:

Noctua NH-L9i Low Profile CPU Cooler - source Amazon

This is a restart project as the motherboard was purchased sometime ago and I have OS X 10.8.2 installed on the mSATA SSD. This is the same Intel MB that SJ-Underwater has documented in his thread. Last week, I installed the latest BIOS, version 49 after using PMPatch. The patch allows the MB to run OS X without the need for the NullPower kext and sleep and wake from sleep to work.

The photos show the MB with the CPU cooler being installed (before and after shots).

1a.jpg

1b.jpg

1c.jpg

1d.jpg

1e.jpg

This cooler fits like a glove. The front USB headers just clear as does the CPU fan power connector. The cooler is packaged very nicely and appears to be a finely crafted assembly. I hope that it cools as well as it looks.

In this build I intend to use Minihack's design concept of concealing the cables in base below the mother board. In this project, I will use my table saw, drill press, belt sander and a Dermel tool along with a set of tool maker's files.

More to follow:

neil

I couldn't resist! I fired up the system here on the bench, booting into 10.8.2, to hear the fan on the noctua CPU cooler. The fan is running just under 1000 RPM and can not be heard unless you get your ear to within a few inches. This pleases me very much.

I am off to put some slots in my front panel piece for USB connectors.

neil

That little cooler's very neat. I'm using one in thornbill.

But think carefully about which way you've oriented it, especially if you're not going to have other fans in the case.
The way you've got it in these pictures the air flowing out from the CPU will go over the RAM and over some of the power regulators (?) on the other side, but almost nothing will go towards the heatsink on the Q77 chipset, which looks like it's oriented to take advantage of the radial outflow from the stock Intel CPU coolers.

In thornbill (which has no case fans) I found the H77 temperatures dropped significantly (~14C) after I rotated the NH-L9i by 90 degrees. I wouldn't be surprised if that helped this system too.
See post #15 in my thornbill thread and scroll down to the "Temperatures" section.

By the way I'm running the LNA adapter on the NH-L9i in thornbill (same CPU as you). It still keeps the CPU cool, and is even quieter than before.

That little cooler's very neat. I'm using one in thornbill.

But think carefully about which way you've oriented it, especially if you're not going to have other fans in the case.
The way you've got it in these pictures the air flowing out from the CPU will go over the RAM and over some of the power regulators (?) on the other side, but almost nothing will go towards the heatsink on the Q77 chipset, which looks like it's oriented to take advantage of the radial outflow from the stock Intel CPU coolers.

In thornbill (which has no case fans) I found the H77 temperatures dropped significantly (~14C) after I rotated the NH-L9i by 90 degrees. I wouldn't be surprised if that helped this system too.
See post #15 in my thornbill thread and scroll down to the "Temperatures" section.

By the way I'm running the LNA adapter on the NH-L9i in thornbill (same CPU as you). It still keeps the CPU cool, and is even quieter than before.

Good input. I am running the thing on the bench and have noted that this orientation is keeping my memory cool and I have planned to use a 40mm fan mounted on or above the Q77 chip. On the list of things to do is a thermal map the board in a case mock-up.

neil

MacTester - I considered doing another G4 Cube with this board. However your project is just over the top and sets the bar very high so I am taking the easy way out with a scratch build.

neil

I have been a silent observer, for a while, on this forum. And you, Neil, is one of the builders I admire most. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this build develops.

Good luck with the build. I have the same board and cpu sitting around waiting for a mod when I find the time.

chaos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back