Contribute
Register

neilhart's Scratch Build # 3 - Mini-ITX Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay here I sit at 2 a.m. with my newly modded mini-tower running Catalina 10.15.1 (yea !).

Modding this old project system was entertaining as the GA Z97N WiFi motherboard with the i7-4770K CPU is a macOS compatible pair. The mod was to take AIO cpu cooler off, slice away that upper portion of my custom case, install a low profile air cpu cooler, and tie up the loose ends.

I was so pleased with this system that I purchased an AMD Radeon RX 580 4G gpu (this is ITX sized) which replaced the ITX sized GF 650TI which was still running but was dated.

I am in the middle of packing up my work area as we are moving from our small condo in South San Jose, California to a much larger home is Gilroy which is about 30 miles south. With this move I will have much more space for the office, lab and work shop.

My issue with the mini-tower that I am attempting to resolve is going from Mojave to Catalina I have lost sound. I do not understand the "why" yet.

I will follow up with photos fairly soon but i need to get the sound back on before calling this project done.

Edit today 11/4/19: I went back and reread Stork's install notes for Catalina and picked up on installing AppleALC.kext from Downloads>kexts. Installed that kext to L>E and after a reboot my sound returned. Thank you for the detail Stork.

Good modding,
neil

Last edited:
Okay here I sit at 2 a.m. with my newly modded mini-tower running Catalina 10.15.1 (yea !).

I will follow up with photos fairly soon but i need to get the sound back on before calling this project done.

Good modding,
neil

Humm... no photos.

So I got very busy as we sold our condo and purchased another house. We moved at the end of November and I have been about 125% busy with the details of the move and getting the new house into a home. This also means I had to start over on my office/lab/shop in the new garage.

Anyway the mini-tower mod project was completed and I gave the system to my 12 year old grandson as a Christmas present. He has it in his bedroom and it runs 24/7. I will try for a few photos soon.

Good modding,
neil

Attachments

• Small-Tower-1.jpg
    Small-Tower-1.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Humm... no photos.

So I got very busy as we sold our condo and purchased another house. We moved at the end of November and I have been about 125% busy with the details of the move and getting the new house into a home. This also means I had to start over on my office/lab/shop in the new garage.

Anyway the mini-tower mod project was completed and I gave the system to my 12 year old grandson as a Christmas present. He has it in his bedroom and it runs 24/7. I will try for a few photos soon.

Good modding,
neil
I have always been impressed with your scratch builds! Nothing ever goes to waste from your previous builds. I've especially enjoyed your builds where you were able to reuse the pieces you cut from the G5 cases you modded for some of your most powerful Hackintoshes.

Great work as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back