Contribute
Register

neilhart's Q4 - a Z170 project for OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's good to hear, thanks. It appears to have "SupremeFX 8-Channel Audio" with Realtek ALC1150, were you able to get sound working natively?

I love small builds, very much look forward to seeing what you come up with! :)

Yes audio works great, the system report shows "AppleHDA.kext v 272.51.3". I will have to go back and run a documented installation at some point. The current installation is evolutionary with many edits to edits.

And I am running the "IntelMausiEthernet.kext" as the copy of "AppleIntelE1000e.kext" that worked was a debug version and I did not like all of the debug trail in the logs.

Good modding,
neil

That would help a lot of people, in that it's such a well specified motherboard that has outperformed some larger star-performer motherboards in some benchmarks. I think it will be a big seller, probably is already. I believe there is a Non-K overclocking bios for it but, unlike the Asrock Non-K bios offerings, I don't think that bios mod comes directly from the manufacturer. The ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 M-itx comes with 1150 sound and has picked up plaudits and awards but it's prohibitively expensive, here in the UK.

That would help a lot of people, in that it's such a well specified motherboard that has outperformed some larger star-performer motherboards in some benchmarks. I think it will be a big seller, probably is already. I believe there is a Non-K overclocking bios for it but, unlike the Asrock Non-K bios offerings, I don't think that bios mod comes directly from the manufacturer. The ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 M-itx comes with 1150 sound and has picked up plaudits and awards but it's prohibitively expensive, here in the UK.

Well it would be interesting to know if the WiFi/BT module on the ASRock MB is OS X supported. To upgrade the ASUS module is about $ 40 USD which I may not do as I run a 24 port Gig-E switch and WiFi is not really needed.

Good modding,
neil

The WiFi/BT module is problematic and I will probably spend additional $$ at some point to purchase a compatible unit.
l

Interesting to say that. I am using the Bluetooth only on my Z170I build and it's working great with trackpad and magic mouse. (The older AA powered ones). I don't have WiFi work, but I don't need it. I will try later. I actually think this makes the Z170I a great motherboard for a hackintosh motherboard, since you get all the overclocking niceties and 'free' bluetooth as well.

I have a GTX970 OC card in, I don't think I can get the Apple compatible Broadcomm card in

Since I have stopped putting the machine to sleep I can live with the Audio issue. (iI just sleep the display with CTRL-SHIFT-EJECT and that's good enough for me!)

Thanks for detail info.

I have the same mono could you help me with bluetooth please is the only thing that doesn't work on my sistem based on an asus z170!

I have the same mono could you help me with bluetooth please is the only thing that doesn't work on my sistem based on an asus z170!

vincenzomontini89 please read the rules and complete the system profile as it should appear in the left side bar under your user ID.

Then when you post a query, please post all of the details (system config, BIOS version, GPU if used, WiFi/BT card, current OS version). As we can not see over your shoulder, you need to supply all of the detail so we can solve the problem.

Good modding,
neil

Just a related update to this system:

Test Bed: CPU - Intel i5-6500
Motherboard - GA-Z170-HD3
Memory - 2x 8 GB DDR4 2600 MHz
GPU - Zotac GF 9600 GT 512MB
OS - macOS 10.12.2 (Clover v3763 boot with config.plist>kexts>Other with USBinjectAll.kext and FakeSMC) also see attached config.plist if interest in the patches.

Test Items:

SSD - Crucial MX300 525 GB (2 1/2 inch form factor - Black Friday purchase)

USB Type C PCIe Card - dodocool DC22 PCIe card (Amazon $23 USD) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C59TB0I/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Type-C Adapter Cable - SABRENT EC-HDSS 2,5” SATA HD/SSD to USB Type C adapter (Amazon $17 USD) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014T3JRFM/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

I installed the dodocool card into the second PCIe 16 slot (the one farthest from the CPU) and booted to the previously installed macOS.

The system boots with the dodocool PCIe card without issue. I attached the Crucial SSD using the SABRENT SATA to Type C adapter to the Type C port. Then used the Disk Utility.app to format and partition the drive into one partition (of course there is the hidden EFI partition not used in the testing).

Then I cloned the boot partition to the external USB SSD. Re-booted to the SSD on the Type C port.

The boot to the dodocool Type C port attached Crucial SSD is quick and the overall system performance is smooth.

Of interest is the Blackmagic Disk Speed Test result:

BM-boot-typeC.jpg

And then swap the Crucial from the external connection to the internal SATA connection and boot to it:

BM-boot.jpg

Hummm just about the same performance but where the Crucial SSD booting from the dodocool Type C port is a little faster.

Okay what else can I do? How about the Crucial SSD attached via a standard SATA adapter with a USB 3,0 type A connector connected to a motherboard USB 3.0 port. This resulted in a hang boot with the stop sign error icon.

Then attached the Crucial drive to the USB 3.1 Type A port on the dodocool card and booted okay. However the speed is down a little.

BM-3.1.jpg

With this system report on the USB section:

USB.jpg

Of interest the offered load from the Crucial SSD is probably about 4+ Gb sec. so we are not able to fully load the pipe with this set up. I mean that with this gear I can not produce a data stream that approaches the implied through put.

Well in summary there are no big surprises with this PCIe USB Type C add-in card. Worked OOB and does what I expected it to do.

This is on a current tech rig. With “old tech” , the set up was not bootable on my EX58 rig that has a dated BIOS and legacy Clover boot.

Good modding,
neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back