Contribute
Register

neilharts next modding project ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my system setup using the HDMI port to HDMI/DVI adapter to my DVI display 1920 x 1200 and the DP port to DP/HDMI adapter to HDTV 1920 x 1200. And the change resolutions does work on the DVI display but not on the HDTV (as expected in my OP). On the HDTV the when you change from 1920 x 1200 to 1600 x 1200 for example the display loose sync and I have blurred multiple images across the screen.

And the differences in our setup are:

Configuration/Video/IGD Minimum Memory 64MB ; I have 128MB
Configuration/Video/IGD Primary Video Port HDMI; I have AUTO
Configuration/Video/IGD Secondary Video Port None; this line is not listed when above is set to AUTO
Power/Intel Dynamic Power Technology Off; I have Energy Efficient Performance
Power/PCIe ASPM Support Disable; I have Enable
Boot/Boot Menu Type Normal; I have Advanced
Boot/BIOS Setup Auto Entry Enabled; I have Disable
Boot/Boot Display Options/Expansion Card Text Disable; I have Enable
Boot/Boot Display Options/Keyboard Ready Beep Disabled; I have Enable

Of interest I have seen no screen artifacts with HD4000 on this system.

neil

Thanks for the info, much appreciated! I setup my bios just like yours, but I still get the sync issue (just as you described...blurred multiple images..) when changing resolutions. I do not yet have a display port adapter, so I can't test with two screens so see if the second (first?) screen would be free of issues. I too do not see any screen artifacts, just the aforementioned resolution switching issue.

So perhaps my issue is in my configuration.plist. Did you do anything special there to support the video in your setup?

Oh, and how is your build going? Im sure answering all these noob questions is taking away precious build time. Sorry about that.

Cheers
chaos

Alright so I am at a loss for what CPU to get for my setup on this board and figured I would see what you guys weigh in with. I have 3 options.

3770s
3770t
E3-1265LV2

The 3770S has the best performance scoring 9,517 on CPU mark. It has a 65W TDP and HD4000. This CPU is readily available. The biggest con is its 65W and I am shooting to go completely passive cooled in my mini.

The 3770T has the lowest performance scoring 8,787 on CPU mark. It has a 45W TDP and HD4000. This CPU I can't find anywhere in the US. Given some time and exhausting resources I am sure I could eventually track it down though. I like this CPU but its biggest con is lack of availability plus it isn't on the official supported list for this board. So I would hate to buy it only to be in the same position I am in now with my 3570k.

The E3-1265LV2 is a Xeon chip and its performance is just a smidge better than the 3770T with a 8,823. This CPU does have some better virtualization features though and I do run VMWare quite a bit. It has a TDP of 45W but it has HD2500. If it weren't for that damn HD2500 I would just swoop up this chip. Plus how many mini mods have Xeon chips :) Now that said with my mod I do have room for a passively cooled video card as well and that was the overall plan for this mod was to run something like a GT640. Also this CPU IS on the supported list for this board.

What are your guys' thoughts?

1) I would go with the i7 3770s, but you need a fan, just get a quiet one.

2) I would be really interested in finding out which graphics cards fit on this board. Please let us know! I would love to add one to my system as well.

chaos

Alright so I am at a loss for what CPU to get for my setup on this board and figured I would see what you guys weigh in with. I have 3 options.

3770s
3770t
E3-1265LV2

The 3770S has the best performance scoring 9,517 on CPU mark. It has a 65W TDP and HD4000. This CPU is readily available. The biggest con is its 65W and I am shooting to go completely passive cooled in my mini.

The 3770T has the lowest performance scoring 8,787 on CPU mark. It has a 45W TDP and HD4000. This CPU I can't find anywhere in the US. Given some time and exhausting resources I am sure I could eventually track it down though. I like this CPU but its biggest con is lack of availability plus it isn't on the official supported list for this board. So I would hate to buy it only to be in the same position I am in now with my 3570k.

The E3-1265LV2 is a Xeon chip and its performance is just a smidge better than the 3770T with a 8,823. This CPU does have some better virtualization features though and I do run VMWare quite a bit. It has a TDP of 45W but it has HD2500. If it weren't for that damn HD2500 I would just swoop up this chip. Plus how many mini mods have Xeon chips :) Now that said with my mod I do have room for a passively cooled video card as well and that was the overall plan for this mod was to run something like a GT640. Also this CPU IS on the supported list for this board.

What are your guys' thoughts?

I wouldn't take any of the one's you mentioned :D well maybe the 3770s...

but how about the E3-1275 V2 running @3,5GHz and scoring 9952,
an E3-1245 V2 running @3,4 GHz and scoring 9122
or for low budget builds which don't use the onboard graphics anyway an E3-1230 V2 running @3,3GHz scoring 9190.

All working according to http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel/DQ77KB.html
Those processors were also listed on Intel’s own page until they disappeared a few days ago, strange :idea:

@neil
For the mSATA problem I might go with some addapter like this one

Attachments

• $(KGrHqFHJCsE-nCC9g)KBPwg8SjlKw~~60_57.JPG
    $(KGrHqFHJCsE-nCC9g)KBPwg8SjlKw~~60_57.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 188

3770s
3770t
E3-1265LV2.... cut

As I read the current INTEL table of "Compatible Processor(s) for Board "DQ77KB"", there are only two Ivy Bridge CPUs that support HD4000 and they are i7-3770s and i3-3225. Why would you use any list but Intel's? So you are on your own if it is not one or the other.

And ATW you have my interest again. Please identify the mSATA adaprer card with source.

And just to be current with my status, I have the Loop L5 kit on order...

neil

As I read the current INTEL table of "Compatible Processor(s) for Board "DQ77KB"", there are only two Ivy Bridge CPUs that support HD4000 and they are i7-3770s and i3-3225. Why would you use any list but Intel's? So you are on your own if it is not one or the other.

And ATW you have my interest again. Please identify the mSATA adaprer card with source.

neil

Oh I am quite aware of Intel's compatibility chart for that board. The odd thing is that intel says any chip under 65w tdp is supported. Well the 3770t is 45w tdp, and has all the features I want it just isn't on the chart. Now why I am even considering this chip though is it appears Intel is doing something weird with this chip because this chip only has compatible chipsets no compatible boards. Either way I think I am going to track down the 3770T and worst case play the bios game until it gets disabled.

Also the reason I am shying away from the 3770S is it may not accomplish what I want which is to have zero fans. I would rather start low and work my way up with this build. Worst case I will fall back on the xeon and use a x4 to x16 pcie convertor.

Also ATW thanks for the other Xeon chips unfortunately all those have higher TDP than I would like and they aren't on the compatibility list. Mainly I think because all the others are 77w.

neil

Well there are quite a few out there, just go on Google and search for "renice msata to sata 3 adapter".
The picture I attached shows one model on eBay, the cheapest I found was something around 15 bucks including postage

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MINI-PC...22pin-Adapter-Replace-Hard-Disk-/271047350243

and the reason why the 3770t is not on any mainboard listed as compatible is simply because it is not meant to be sold retail at all. The 3770t is meant for OEM builds and only sold as tray or bulk version, not boxed.

[FONT=&quot] EDIT: Found the reason for Intel’s processor list being edited. With the new Bios version they removed some processors, take a look at the release notes directly from Intel. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]In Bios Version 0044 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]under[/FONT][FONT=&quot] fixes/Features
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/22065/eng/KB_0044_ReleaseNotes.pdf[/FONT]

The "Loop L5 AIO chassis for DIY" arrived yesterday and I opened it this morning. The package is well done with heavy exterior corrugated card board, foam cushions, and an accessory tray. A single sheet printed both sides assembly instruction sheet is included along with a power brick, AC power cord, a small bag of miscellaneous cables, screws and ties. Also included is the "foot", an Intel Low Profile CPU cooler, and the display assembly. I had not understood that the kit contained the CPU cooler (as I now own two of them).

A-1-box.jpg

A-2-box.jpg

A-3-box.jpg

A-4-box.jpg

A-5-box.jpg

A-6-b0x.jpg

A-7-box.jpg

A-8-box.jpg

A-9-box.jpg

A-10-box.jpg

more to come...
neil

Sweeeeeeeeeeettt!

Looking pretty nifty!!!

I'm eager to see more your works, neilharts. :)

Noom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back