Contribute
Register

neilharts next modding project ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
neilhart, you're professional. I'll follow your project every steps until finish.

kmmm.

The Crucial M4 128 GB (mSATA) is installed and is my primary boot drive. This is a SATA III drive but I only see about 200 MB Second RW speeds.

Hey Neil

Isn't the mSATA only runing on SataII? Might explain why you can't get full speeds on that drive.
Could it be that a standard 2.5 SSD on one of the SATAIII ports would be faster?

ATW

Yes. The mSATA drive is a SATA III device. It is connected to a SATA III Port. The system sees the port but comes up with unknown AHCI controller and has negotiated link speed of "3 Gigabit". Just another thing to sort out.

However, this thing boots from the mSATA in under 8 seconds from the Chimera screen to the desktop.

When I have a SATA III SSD free I will see how the system runs.

neil

Yes. The mSATA drive is a SATA III device. It is connected to a SATA III Port. The system sees the port but comes up with unknown AHCI controller and has negotiated link speed of "3 Gigabit". Just another thing to sort out.

However, this thing boots from the mSATA in under 8 seconds from the Chimera screen to the desktop.

When I have a SATA III SSD free I will see how the system runs.

neil

Maybe I just got it wrong but looking at intels Forum (http://communities.intel.com/thread/30792) it seems to me that the mSATA isn't running as SATAIII if it is connected to the mSATA slot on the Mobo...

Hello,

The internal mSATA port (PCI Express Full-Mini-Card slot) is designed to run at 3Gb/s so the behavior you are experiencing is completely normal and expected.

or am I mistaken here big time? :rolleyes:

ATW good find of this link with the answer that I did not want to hear. Again, I will see what a SATA III SSD does on a SATA III port when I have one available. The M4 mSATA drive was $ 120 US shipped and could well have been a standard 2.5" 6 Gbs SSD instead.

neil

I've checked the DQ77KB's manual and did not find such a header. Does it really miss this header?

MacTester57, yes that header is missing, but +5V Standby is available on the Custom Solutions Header, Pin 9
Screen Shot 2012-10-23 at 3.14.33 PM.JPG

Cheers

chaos

chaos is correct. Pin 9 on the "Custom Solutions" header. And here is a snap shot that shows the 5 volts in standby.

And I see no reason to back away from this motherboard as it appears to have most everything needed for G4 Cubes and Loop L5 projects. I had no problem at all installing ML 10.8.2 and I am running two displays on the HD 4000 and a i3-3225 CPU.

5VSB.jpg

My next add is a WiFi card that arrived today.

Have fun
neil

Edit -- The WiFi card, a Broadcom BCM-94322HM8L, played OOB with no jacking around. This is it in the system profille:

WiFi.jpg

more later,
neil

Neilhart,

I have another question. What is the exactly type of the DELL PSU, that you have for this MOBO. Here in Switzerland it's a bit difficult to find a 19v adapter with enough power. Often it is unclear if the device has the correct plug to connect it to the MOBO and I do not want one with thousands of adapter plugs.

At ebay, I found this, but it is a bit expensive to ship it to Europe and I would have to change the power plug to the Swiss standard:

http://www.ebay.ch/itm/160W-19V-8-4...pt=PCA_UPS&hash=item19d1767341#ht_1528wt_1413

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back