Contribute
Register

neilhart's G5 Short Stack - PowerMac G5 Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
really clean and excellent work many compliments!

Let me ask you a question also what you call the stuff "for the epoxy operation. Using the JB Weld epoxy for this" ....
what is the real name of the substance that you use?
is it a kind of glue? you can write the brand and model?
thank you very much!

really clean and excellent work many compliments!

Let me ask you a question also what you call the stuff "for the epoxy operation. Using the JB Weld epoxy for this" ....
what is the real name of the substance that you use?
is it a kind of glue? you can write the brand and model?
thank you very much!

The two part epoxy that is used is "J-B Weld" and is sold in the local hardware stores, usually located in the automotive section. The company is "J-B Weld Co., PO Box 483, Sulphur Springs TX 75483, USA" . And in our area a small package of two 1 oz tubes runs about $6 USD. And it does take a long 24+ hours for it too reach a full set. It does smell an little and is a sticky mess it miss-applied. However it is a good product.

There is a version labeled "Quick J-B Weld" which does not perform nearly as well as the original.

Good hacking,
neil

- - - Updated - - -

Approaching the conclusion of the project. This has been four months of 'fun' and I end up with a high performance machine that runs with the best.

If you have read down through the thread you may gain an appreciation for this end result. It falls short of my original goal where I set out to have a system on a slide in tray. I now have a better idea as to how to achieve my initial goal and I may cycle back and do another with a Haswell Micro ATX system.

Enjoy the photos:
FF1.jpg

FF2.jpg

FF3.jpg

FF4.jpg

FF5.jpg

FF6.jpg

FF7.jpg

FF8.jpg

FF9.jpg

FF10.jpg

As always, I welcome comments and questions.

Good hacking,
neil

Neilhart, You have outdone yourself this time, this is a very professional looking build. Looking at the outside, it is hard to tell that it is a modified case, it looks like it has come directly from Apple.

One Question; What was the hardest part of this build?

One Request; To give some perspective, I would love to see a photo of you Short Stack, next to a full size G5.

Extremely beautiful buil Neil, wow is the only word I can use. Do you think you think that this size case could be done with a mini ITX board and a full size PSU? It probably wouldn't even be necessary to use a full size PSU moving forward with even i7 haswells and graphics cards getting more and more efficient.

Neilhart, You have outdone yourself this time, this is a very professional looking build. Looking at the outside, it is hard to tell that it is a modified case, it looks like it has come directly from Apple.

One Question; What was the hardest part of this build?

One Request; To give some perspective, I would love to see a photo of you Short Stack, next to a full size G5.

Kiwi - more photos to follow, but here is one that shows the addiction:
4-1.jpg

And the hardest for me is the body work, sanding, filling, sanding, and waiting for J-B Weld to cure...

Good hacking
neil

Extremely beautiful buil Neil, wow is the only word I can use. Do you think you think that this size case could be done with a mini ITX board and a full size PSU? It probably wouldn't even be necessary to use a full size PSU moving forward with even i7 haswells and graphics cards getting more and more efficient.

I intend to keep my eyes open for an "interesting" Mini ITX 87 series motherboard for sure. I am scratching the itch with a Gigabyte Z87M D3H now and it appears that these new Haswell systems will out perform most anything.

And on this hack, I ran it extensively with everything that I could hang on it to insure that the small server PSU could take the load. And in this form factor, I can go up if need be. And the case can take any Micro ATX motherboard when the time comes to refresh it. And a Mini ITX will also fit with out additional modification.

Good hacking
neil

The two part epoxy that is used is "J-B Weld" and is sold in the local hardware stores, usually located in the automotive section. The company is "J-B Weld Co., PO Box 483, Sulphur Springs TX 75483, USA" . And in our area a small package of two 1 oz tubes runs about $6 USD. And it does take a long 24+ hours for it too reach a full set. It does smell an little and is a sticky mess it miss-applied. However it is a good product.

There is a version labeled "Quick J-B Weld" which does not perform nearly as well as the original.

Good hacking,
neil

- - - Updated - - -

Approaching the conclusion of the project. This has been four months of 'fun' and I end up with a high performance machine that runs with the best.

If you have read down through the thread you may gain an appreciation for this end result. It falls short of my original goal where I set out to have a system on a slide in tray. I now have a better idea as to how to achieve my initial goal and I may cycle back and do another with a Haswell Micro ATX system.

As always, I welcome comments and questions.

Good hacking,
neil

Thank You neilhart!!!
Now I will find the same thing in Italy !!
The final photos are really impressive!
thanks again !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back