Contribute
Register

neilhart's completed case mods

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree - an amazing portfolio of mod.s. Great attention to detail inside and out.

Unbelievable, how much mods you've already done :thumbup: - but I can't see an iMac G4 ;)

MacTester

Unbelievable, how much mods you've already done :thumbup: - but I can't see an iMac G4 ;)

MacTester

Well I am very impressed with the iMac G4 that you have modded and Ersterhernd's mods. The two of you have set a standard that will be hard to even meet. However you do have my interest and I intend to pick up a working 17" model when one comes along with an attractive price.

Your PICAXE solutions interest me so I have purchased a PICAXE starter kit and I am attempting to get up to speed in that area.

But as usual, my plate is full with other things such as testing Mavericks on my Haswell system and a few problems that I have with HD 46000 and proper shutdown. I am not sure what the next build project will be, however I have purchased a i7-4770T because of the low power and maybe an mini-ITX or Micro ATX project.

This is where I am at the moment.
MyWorld4.jpg

Good modding,
neil

Fantastic work. Thanks for posting
I have a G5 case and was wondering on your mod how you fabricated the excellent metal work
How did you bend Mobo base metal to standoff base also how did you fasten standoffs ?
Did you fabricate a new cover for psu?
Did you use micro atx Mobo ?

Thanks
Dennis

Fantastic work. Thanks for posting
I have a G5 case and was wondering on your mod how you fabricated the excellent metal work
How did you bend Mobo base metal to standoff base also how did you fasten standoffs ?
Did you fabricate a new cover for psu?
Did you use micro atx Mobo ?

Thanks
Dennis

Standoffs are held in place using JB Weld, a two part epoxy that is generally available in hardware stores in the US (2 x 1oz tubes for about $8 USD).

The Power Mac G5 PSU sheet metal is a top and bottom mild steel enclosure held together with flat head screws with two fans at one end. I reuse the fans but wire them up to 5 VDC and I alter the length of the sheet metal enclosure as needed (using a small saber saw). See the links to the TOP and the Short Stack.
Then I make up an aluminum modesty top panel for appearances.

I own a good set of hand tools (drills, files, saws...) and a 10" table saw, a floor standing drill press, belt sanders, and a good dremel tool model 3000. And a very tolerant wife.

My G5 PM and Mac Pro hacks contain micro-ATX motherboards (with exception of TOP which uses a mini-ITX MB). The ATX size could be used but requires way more work because of the space available and they don't bring anything that I need to the party.

I completed my first scratch build PC in the early '80s and have lost track of the total number.

Good modding,
neil

Its quite amazing how many mods you have done . I just have one question . With all these mods and all these different hackintosh's , what do you do with them ?

What??? You mean I don't need a dozen computers?

My stock answer is that it is a hobby. During the good times, I budget about $500 a month for computer related spending.

And when I find someone that can support themselves, I give them one of my older hacks if they promise to not bring it back.

Good modding,
neil

Neil

thanks for the quick response. I have modded a G5 already but after seeing yours I bought another case and would like to replicate what you designed.

I plan to put in an I7 Haswell. It will be a winter project with most of it fabricating the case so I may have questions from time to time. I promise not to overload you but advise is so helpful

Thanks again
Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back