Contribute
Register

neilhart's completed case mods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to see all your mods here... :)

i had the x58 asus r3e. But will be switching to an matx motherboard for more space.

and i really like your sos project. :D hope to see you modding again soon. :)

Hey all.. Just added my latest project to the first posting of this thread.

This is a MakerBeam case project.

Good modding,
neil

Hey again... I have just added a link to my latest G4 Cube project on the first post. This is my first use of a Mini-STX form factor motherboard.

Good modding,
neil

Just a note that I have added my latest project to the first post. This is my second Kaby Lake project and it runs Sierra 10.12.3 with a low power i7-7700T CPU in a ASRock Z270 Fatal1ty Gaming ITX motherboard and a Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB ITX GPU.

Good modding,
neil

Again I have posted links to two additional projects to the top of the first thread.

These are scratch build cases for Sky Lake and Kaby Lake.

Good modding,
neil

Taylor,

The following is my way of wiring up a G5 Power Mac front panel. I cut an Apple front panel cable in half and splice in my own wires using sloder and shrink tubing as seen below.

The key is locating the correct pins in the cable connector:
Connector.jpg

First the AUDIO portion.
I find a existing HD-AUDIO cable, usually to be found on old cases, and wire it up as shown here. The switch is a manual way of changing from the front to back (green) ports. Note, many of these cables have two 10 pin connectors at the motherboard end of the cable; cut the other connector off and retain only the HD-AUDIO on the cable.
Audio-1.jpg

Audio-2.jpg

Power Switch and LED.
Pwr-Sw-1.jpg

Shown here, the power switch and LED are on the small green PCB. Of interest the center terminal on the PCB and on the three pin connector is the common or ground return for both power swithch and the LED.
Pwr-Sw-2.jpg

Here I have added the Power LED lead to pin 14 on the Apple 18 pin connector.
Pwr-Sw-3.jpg

And then pin 13 is connected to my two wire POWER SW harness - the Green wire.
Pwr-Sw-4.jpg

Then the White wire is connected to pin 2 of the Apple 18 pin connector.
USB section.

Locate a single USB cable. You need the end that will connect to your motherboard USB header, usual a black 5 position connector with 4 wires (Red, White, Green, and Black).
Cut this cable to a convenient length to reach a USB header on the motherboard. Strip off about 3 inches of the outer cable jacket. The shielding is exposed; pick and otherwise worry the shielding until you can free the four wires. Cut away the foil portion and twist the thin wires into a tight lead. Now strip each of the four wire about 1/4 to 5/16 inch. Add some small shrink tubing to each lead.

As shown, I use blue tape when an extra set of hands is need to hold the wires for soldering. Here I am soldering the wires from the Apple connector, pin 6 and pin 10 to the Black wire and the shield wire on the USB cable.
USB-Black.jpg

Then solder the lead from the Apple connector pin 9 to the red wire on the USB cable.
USB-Red.jpg

Here I have already soldered the Apple connector pin 11 to the Green wire in the USB cable and wire from the Apple connector pin12 to the USB cable White wire.
USB-White.jpg

And I reassembled the desk sample Apple front panel assembly and tested it on my current project board... It works.
final.jpg

I may take some heat from others as I do not have a better solution for the audio at this time.

Good modding,
neil

Hello, congratulations for your work, it is definitely the clearest on this site!
I have made all the connections described by you, everything works except for the audio.
I did not understand if you connected the audio sense (15), in other articles the 15 connect it to pin 10 of the hd_audio connector.
could you explain to me what the switch is for?

Hello, congratulations for your work, it is definitely the clearest on this site!
I have made all the connections described by you, everything works except for the audio.
I did not understand if you connected the audio sense (15), in other articles the 15 connect it to pin 10 of the hd_audio connector.
could you explain to me what the switch is for?

The audio is a small bad of worms. I have tried several solutions over the years and currently recommend the one that I did on the SOS project; see post #8 of https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/neilharts-slow-roll-g5-power-mac-system-on-slides.129400/

Good modding,
neil

wow, in the post that you reported me, replace the audio directly ...
mmm .. I think I'll do without frontal audio ...
so the solution with switch does not work?
Thanks a lot for the answer!

The solution using an external switch does work but is problematic. The problems are: where to put the switch, and when to use it. On some implementations, you have to pull the audio cable from the rear port before the front port will work (with or without the switch). And on some implementations you also have to go into the Sound Preference panel and select the front or rear audio port.

On most systems you can just use the rear audio and be done with it. Also there is HDMI audio to sort out.

Good modding,
neil

I have added one of my recent projects to the top of the list. See "My Way # 21".

Note that "My Way # 22" will follow when I find the time to complete the documentation.

Good Modding
neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back