Graphics
HD 3000 + GTX 660
Mac
MacBook Air
Classic Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
Other
I agree - an amazing portfolio of mod.s. Great attention to detail inside and out.

Motherboard
Z68MX-UD2H-B3, DQ77KB, NUC DC53427HYE, NUC D54250WYKH
CPU
i5-2500K, i3-3225, i7-3770S
Graphics
HD 3000, HD 4000, HD 5000
Mac
Classic Mac
iMac, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Unbelievable, how much mods you've already done :thumbup: - but I can't see an iMac G4 ;)

MacTester

neilhart

Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming - ITX/ac
CPU
Intel i7-7700T (TDP: 35W)
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX960 2GB, ITX
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Unbelievable, how much mods you've already done :thumbup: - but I can't see an iMac G4 ;)

MacTester
Well I am very impressed with the iMac G4 that you have modded and Ersterhernd's mods. The two of you have set a standard that will be hard to even meet. However you do have my interest and I intend to pick up a working 17" model when one comes along with an attractive price.

Your PICAXE solutions interest me so I have purchased a PICAXE starter kit and I am attempting to get up to speed in that area.

But as usual, my plate is full with other things such as testing Mavericks on my Haswell system and a few problems that I have with HD 46000 and proper shutdown. I am not sure what the next build project will be, however I have purchased a i7-4770T because of the low power and maybe an mini-ITX or Micro ATX project.

This is where I am at the moment.

Good modding,
neil

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
I7-3770K-16GB Ram
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
MacBook Air
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Fantastic work. Thanks for posting
I have a G5 case and was wondering on your mod how you fabricated the excellent metal work
How did you bend Mobo base metal to standoff base also how did you fasten standoffs ?
Did you fabricate a new cover for psu?
Did you use micro atx Mobo ?

Thanks
Dennis

neilhart

Motherboard
CPU
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX960 2GB, ITX
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Fantastic work. Thanks for posting
I have a G5 case and was wondering on your mod how you fabricated the excellent metal work
How did you bend Mobo base metal to standoff base also how did you fasten standoffs ?
Did you fabricate a new cover for psu?
Did you use micro atx Mobo ?

Thanks
Dennis
Standoffs are held in place using JB Weld, a two part epoxy that is generally available in hardware stores in the US (2 x 1oz tubes for about $8 USD).

The Power Mac G5 PSU sheet metal is a top and bottom mild steel enclosure held together with flat head screws with two fans at one end. I reuse the fans but wire them up to 5 VDC and I alter the length of the sheet metal enclosure as needed (using a small saber saw). See the links to the TOP and the Short Stack.
Then I make up an aluminum modesty top panel for appearances.

I own a good set of hand tools (drills, files, saws...) and a 10" table saw, a floor standing drill press, belt sanders, and a good dremel tool model 3000. And a very tolerant wife.

My G5 PM and Mac Pro hacks contain micro-ATX motherboards (with exception of TOP which uses a mini-ITX MB). The ATX size could be used but requires way more work because of the space available and they don't bring anything that I need to the party.

I completed my first scratch build PC in the early '80s and have lost track of the total number.

Good modding,
neil

neilhart

Motherboard
CPU
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX960 2GB, ITX
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Its quite amazing how many mods you have done . I just have one question . With all these mods and all these different hackintosh's , what do you do with them ?
What??? You mean I don't need a dozen computers?

My stock answer is that it is a hobby. During the good times, I budget about $500 a month for computer related spending.

And when I find someone that can support themselves, I give them one of my older hacks if they promise to not bring it back.

Good modding,
neil

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
I7-3770K-16GB Ram
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
MacBook Air
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Neil

thanks for the quick response. I have modded a G5 already but after seeing yours I bought another case and would like to replicate what you designed.

I plan to put in an I7 Haswell. It will be a winter project with most of it fabricating the case so I may have questions from time to time. I promise not to overload you but advise is so helpful

Thanks again
Dennis