Contribute
Register

neilhart’s ASUS Maximus VII Impact w M.2 XP941 booting OS X via Clover [XW1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is the GPU now Neil ? I love mine but its nowhere near as quiet as it was when i bought it. Ive lowered the fan speed in the cards rom, but it seems it is locked regardless and wont go below a certain level. It works well and is clear of any dust or crap, just not as quiet as it once was. No idea why its done that.

How is the GPU now Neil ? I love mine but its nowhere near as quiet as it was when i bought it. Ive lowered the fan speed in the cards rom, but it seems it is locked regardless and wont go below a certain level. It works well and is clear of any dust or crap, just not as quiet as it once was. No idea why its done that.

Humm... well if the truth be known... I am a little hard of hearing so I may not be a good judge. However I do have my two working workstations on my left side table and I normally sit in front of the second 24" display just out of frame in the photo. Each system has a MSI GTX 760 ITX and the ASUS Maximus has the 4 displays attached. I am about 4 feet from the source; and each machine is running with 5 fans.

work.jpg

When I think about it, I can hear the fans. However, I normally don't think about it and usually I have some music playing or a video going. So an non-answer to your question.

Edit: The normal idle speed on the MIS GPU fans is about 1000 to 1100 RPM until I run Heaven or such and then they setup and bark at about 2K RPM and the GPU temp gets up to 80/81 C and it does take a while for the GPU to return to the mid 40 C temps.

I pulled the ASUS GTX 760 out of the White One as I have that one up for sale and I keeping the GPU for another project machine.

Good modding,
neil

Excellent work :)

It's ingenuity like this that make the modding scene so much fun. It used to be mainly confined to PC builders but it is great to see this on a Hackintosh theme.

I wonder how your temperatures are given you've reduced the airflow volume with the cut-and-shut (this is a UK car-builder's phrase - wonder if it's the same in the US?)

Two things struck me which I enjoyed reading -

1) you bake your paint finish = more details please!

2) The well-beaten bench-vice is proper old-school and reminds me of my engineering education wayback-when I was learning a trade!

Great! :D

Excellent work :)

It's ingenuity like this that make the modding scene so much fun. It used to be mainly confined to PC builders but it is great to see this on a Hackintosh theme.

I wonder how your temperatures are given you've reduced the airflow volume with the cut-and-shut (this is a UK car-builder's phrase - wonder if it's the same in the US?)

Two things struck me which I enjoyed reading -

1) you bake your paint finish = more details please!

2) The well-beaten bench-vice is proper old-school and reminds me of my engineering education wayback-when I was learning a trade!

Great! :D

Hey thank you for the kind words.

Air Flow: As I have it today, the front intake fan is mostly unobstructed. Not shown is a fresh air path to the GPU fan, and the AIO CPU cooler if fed air from the front fan. The PSU is turned so that the air path is in from the top and out the back. Anyway under Prime95 torture test, the system does survive my one hour standard test. It does get toasty hot during those bench marks.

And my mini-tower project, the one on the left in the photo, is a much better design when it come to air flow and system cooling.

1. Anyway, I have found it speeds things up to use our kitchen oven to bake the enamel finish to a harder surface. It is a convection oven, moving hot air, and I run it at 195F for an hour plus. The panels have to be fairly "dry" before doing this or the solvent smell gets too great. Then I place the panel(s) into the freezer for a quick cool down so that I can proceed at a good pace to installation. Also I try for a light texture finish as good glossy finish is unforgiving in every way.

2. Yes this vice has been in the family for many years (maybe 70 or 80 years) and was from my father's home shop. Many of my tools are old hand me downs. However the table saw is relative new purchased in 1987 and I recently had it all apart for a tune up (where I re-aligned the blade to within 0.0005 inch parallel to the miter slots (good square cuts now).

saw.jpg

and another photo of my work space... I live with tech clutter, and many projects started.

work2.jpg

Good modding,
neil

Ah, thank you for the heads-up on the oven baking. Good to learn such stuff. I've limited my own painting in the past to "highlights" and details because I knew standard drying cellulose or enamel is too brittle and marks easily on large panels.

As for the tools, my own collection was mostly bought by me when I worked in engineering and could get trade prices. Often the older tools are made better and last longer.

(That bench saw looks very useful!)

I've often thought of fitting an LCD or VFD to display system info and think spare 5.25" or 3.5" bays are ideal. Trouble is they are out of fashion nowadays, limited in supply and I've never found a good Mac driver (I last tried about 10-years ago on a PC).

" I've often thought of fitting an LCD or VFD to display system info and think spare 5.25" or 3.5" bays are ideal. Trouble is they are out of fashion nowadays, limited in supply and I've never found a good Mac driver (I last tried about 10-years ago on a PC) "

Good. I have been thinking along those lines also.

Do you program in OS X or other? See the work that MacTester57, kiwisincebirth and ersterhernd are doing.

MacTester57 has some very interesting code running: see here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/imac-mods/130197-mactester57s-imac-g5-17-a1058-model-10.html

I have been looking at the mini-displays on the Adafruit.com web site and toying with the idea of doing an Ardunio interface and bring out the data from the sensors that HWMonitor.app is using. At this point it is just a passing whim as I am just starting in on Ardunio tutorials and have not coded seriously for 10 or 12 years (and then it was in TCL).

Good modding,
neil

" I've often thought of fitting an LCD or VFD to display system info and think spare 5.25" or 3.5" bays are ideal. Trouble is they are out of fashion nowadays, limited in supply and I've never found a good Mac driver (I last tried about 10-years ago on a PC) "

Good. I have been thinking along those lines also.

Do you program in OS X or other? See the work that MacTester57, kiwisincebirth and ersterhernd are doing.

MacTester57 has some very interesting code running: see here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/imac-mods/130197-mactester57s-imac-g5-17-a1058-model-10.html

I have been looking at the mini-displays on the Adafruit.com web site and toying with the idea of doing an Ardunio interface and bring out the data from the sensors that HWMonitor.app is using. At this point it is just a passing whim as I am just starting in on Ardunio tutorials and have not coded seriously for 10 or 12 years (and then it was in TCL).

Good modding,
neil

Yes indeed, MacTester57's modding is a superb example to us all! Thank you for pointing the thread out to me.

Sadly my own eyes - and soldering hand - are not what they were... Last project was a hi-fi headphone amp.

Hmm, I last coded in plain old "C" donkey's years ago. Though I did recently download and delve into Xcode I think it would take too long to get up to any useful speed again. I have to wait and admire the work of others.

But in the meantime I'm working on UtterDisbelief 7 - which keeps me occupied :D

toleda - The M.2 on the ASUS Maximus VII Impact sets on a x4 PCIe slot (ASUS custom form factor not a normal x4 slot) and was one of the main attractions.

The link width is x4.

Linkw.jpg

Good modding,
neil

edit: this capture is from Mavericks 10.9.5

The M.2 on the ASUS Maximus VII Impact sets on a x4 PCIe slot
Thanks. Not happening on my machine with 2601. What BIOS version and, if convenient, attach an IOReg or IOJones.

By the way, native iMac15,1 shows x2 and 5.0 GT/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back