Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Good morning all,
After waiting essentially two years, I have to resign to the fact that Nvida Pascal support is no more. I've stuck with High Sierra, but I would like to move on to the current OS. I currently have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 card in my system. I have two 4K displays using display ports. Which, if any, AMD card is going to give me similar performance and will be compatible with Catalina? I just am not famiiar with the AMD lineup, and their naming/numbering scheme seems confusing.

Have a look at the RX Vega 64 cards. Good price/performance right now. They're not the newer Navi architecture but the Vega 64s have the best driver support from Apple in Catalina.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079MFMQ8D/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

This card has 3 DP and 3 HDMI 2.0 connectors.

The Radeon RX 5700 range gets good reviews and is supported by the latest Catalina version. I'm in the same boat as you and am about to replace my GTX 1080ti with a Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC 8GB, which many web reviews rate as the best overall 5700.

My setup is essentially the same as yours. I'll be interested in how it goes!

Thanks for the advice. It's not something I've been looking forward to, but I'm going to have to do it sooner or later. It won't be long before Apple sunsets High Sierra support. At that point, I either go back to Winblows, run Linux, or spend the money on a new graphics card.

Well, it's been a month, and I've been watching the prices and availability. I finally ordered a Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC 8GB from NewEgg, so I should have it by the end of the month. I'm not looking forward to having to play around with my Clover settings, remove any mention to Nvidia, etc, but I'll be happy to be able to upgrade. I should be able to sell my 1080 FTW on Ebay for some decent money. They still are pretty well in demand, at least on the Windows side. I could always throw it in my Linux server to do 4K transcoding, but I imagine it might be a bit of an overkill!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back