Contribute
Register

Need to build the cheapest hackintosh possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheap? but stable for Xcode/web development?

Check out my Hackintosh#2 in my sig... Intel DG33TL Mobo + Quad 2.4Ghz chip you can get for about $130 total @ eBay. GT240 video card ($70?) Then add another $25 for an Optiarc DVD, RAM $30 for 4GB, some SATA drive PSU and you're in business. On board sound works, on-board FW, on-board LAN works. ... only thing that doesn't work is WAKE from sleep. So don't go to sleep. Pretty decent graphics for a little COD gaming. :)

I used this hack for the last 6 mos., doing production work, web and some Xcode/mobile development before moving on to my new rig.

Finboss said:
You don't need a core i5 or the latest and greatest graphics card for xcode. If that is all you are using it for it is a complete waste of money.
The Intel Core i3-2105 has a built in HD 3000 gpu that is fully supported by OSX Lion. It is 2/3 of the price of i5s you are suggesting.
Combine that with a Z68 motherboard from the CustoMac Buyers Guide (http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/search/label/CustoMac) and 4GB of RAM and you have a solid machine that is perfectly fine for learning XCode and most other uses. It should come out to be just over $350 depending on what motherboard you choose.

Better to go with 2125.

I want to thank everyone for your help in this build. But wife says no builds until February.

Sorry if I wasted anyones time.

Dan Brumit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back