Contribute
Register

Need suggestion re-installing Mac OS after first hackintosh motherboard bricked after 6 months use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mac OS- Mountain Lion
CPU
Intel Core*i7-3930K
Graphics
GEFORCE GTX 670
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I am sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this but I need a good advice before moving forward with my OS installation. Starting from the beginning, I build a hackintosh with Intel Core i7-3930K and ASUS P8Z77-I using this instruction from tonymacx86 about 6 months ago.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...uide-asus-p8z77-i-i5-3570k-mountain-lion.html

A couple weeks ago, I bricked the P8Z77 when my external powered USB caused an overvoltage and I had to replace it with my current motherboard GIGABYTE Z77X-UD3H 1.0 . Now, I know the only change is the motherboard in my current installation as my OS and user files are exactly as they were before in my hard-drive.

My question and need of suggestion is in exactly what my next step should be. Do I need to format my hard drive for a clean installation using UniBeast or is there a more easier way that I can use the Mountain Lion OS already on my hard drive?

I appreciate your time reading this and I hope you can help.
Thank You.

I am sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this but I need a good advice before moving forward with my OS installation. Starting from the beginning, I build a hackintosh with Intel Core i7-3930K and ASUS P8Z77-I using this instruction from tonymacx86 about 6 months ago.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...uide-asus-p8z77-i-i5-3570k-mountain-lion.html

A couple weeks ago, I bricked the P8Z77 when my external powered USB caused an overvoltage and I had to replace it with my current motherboard GIGABYTE Z77X-UD3H 1.0 . Now, I know the only change is the motherboard in my current installation as my OS and user files are exactly as they were before in my hard-drive.

My question and need of suggestion is in exactly what my next step should be. Do I need to format my hard drive for a clean installation using UniBeast or is there a more easier way that I can use the Mountain Lion OS already on my hard drive?

I appreciate your time reading this and I hope you can help.
Thank You.
You can use the one on your drive already. Can you boot the drive on the new board using -v -x -f?
If you can, boot system, delete the /Extra folder. Then delete any Voodoo kexts or HDA injector kexts from S/L/E
Run MultiBeast again with selections for the new board. Reboot.

Thank you for the reply! I am still very new to this. If you could give me some more details or a link to a specific topic instructions, I would be forever grateful i.e. I donot understand exactly what exactly you mean. Sorry

Thank you for the reply! I am still very new to this. If you could give me some more details or a link to a specific topic instructions, I would be forever grateful i.e. I donot understand exactly what exactly you mean. Sorry
Install drive in new build.
Boot
At Chimera screen hit the space bar, type in

-v -f -x

hit enter.

If it boots you to the sign in / desktop, open finder - select /Extra folder, move it to trash - empty trash.

When you first installed did you use voodooHDA or any HDAEnabler kexts to get audio working? If yes, navigate to System/Library/Extensions, find the kexts you added and move them to trash. Empty trash.
Download MultiBeast for this version of OS X and run it, selecting the audio and networking kexts and any special items you need for the new hardware and install.

Thank you again for the reply. Yes, I booted into the hard-drive and it does let me access the OS and lead me through chimera screen. the keyboard works during the bios but stops running once i get into the OS as I am sure the drivers are not available until MultiBeast. But how do you recommend getting into MultiBeast without keyboard or mouse?
Thank you for your help and time

Thank you again for the reply. Yes, I booted into the hard-drive and it does let me access the OS and lead me through chimera screen. the keyboard works during the bios but stops running once i get into the OS as I am sure the drivers are not available until MultiBeast. But how do you recommend getting into MultiBeast without keyboard or mouse?
Thank you for your help and time

Keyboard and mouse should work at the desktop unless you are using P/S2 KB/mouse. Only reason they might not work is if you need a kext for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back