GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

I searched over the forums but I couldn't find a specific answer to my question. I already have a hackintosh as a primary computer running perfectly but I started to travel a lot and I think a laptop would be very helpful. I will use it to browse the internet, talk on Skype, pretty regular things and I will also use programs such as Photoshop and Illustrator as well as I am a graphic designer. I got used to the Mac Operating System and honestly since I have Mountain Lion on my desktop machine I would prefer to have the same operating system on my laptop. So first I considered buying a Macbook Air or a Macbook Pro something from at least 2011. I was thinking that if I want to buy a laptop I could go with an older model but in 2014 or 2015 it would be even more older so I should buy something newer with a decent configuration right? I searched a lot in the past 2 weeks but honestly the prices are to high even at a second hand. I don't know what I should do. I heard that the HP Probook 4540s is pretty compatible with OS X but the problem would be mainly the wireless and the bluetooth for which I have to find adaptors. I searched for that too but I could't find the adaptors specified in forums in my country. I thought the HP Probook 4540s is an interesting solution because is pretty much similar to a Macbook Pro from 2012 and it is a lot more cheaper. However in the last few days I changed my mind and then I recharged my mind, and I did this actually several times. The HP Probook is cheaper but it won't be like a Macbook, it will still have some incompatible features. I am confused. Of course buying a macbook I admit is a good solution but only the price is holding me now so I wanted to know if it worth to buy a Probook. What do you think I should do? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Regards

Hi,

I searched over the forums but I couldn't find a specific answer to my question. I already have a hackintosh as a primary computer running perfectly but I started to travel a lot and I think a laptop would be very helpful. I will use it to browse the internet, talk on Skype, pretty regular things and I will also use programs such as Photoshop and Illustrator as well as I am a graphic designer. I got used to the Mac Operating System and honestly since I have Mountain Lion on my desktop machine I would prefer to have the same operating system on my laptop. So first I considered buying a Macbook Air or a Macbook Pro something from at least 2011. I was thinking that if I want to buy a laptop I could go with an older model but in 2014 or 2015 it would be even more older so I should buy something newer with a decent configuration right? I searched a lot in the past 2 weeks but honestly the prices are to high even at a second hand. I don't know what I should do. I heard that the HP Probook 4540s is pretty compatible with OS X but the problem would be mainly the wireless and the bluetooth for which I have to find adaptors. I searched for that too but I could't find the adaptors specified in forums in my country. I thought the HP Probook 4540s is an interesting solution because is pretty much similar to a Macbook Pro from 2012 and it is a lot more cheaper. However in the last few days I changed my mind and then I recharged my mind, and I did this actually several times. The HP Probook is cheaper but it won't be like a Macbook, it will still have some incompatible features. I am confused. Of course buying a macbook I admit is a good solution but only the price is holding me now so I wanted to know if it worth to buy a Probook. What do you think I should do? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Regards

It is really a personal decision only you can make. If you can afford to buy a MacBook[Pro/Air], do it. If not, then you have the ProBook. Most 4540s ProBooks can be made to work. But I have heard of issues with the camera and in a couple of (rare) instances, people have been unable to get the screen to work (whether this is a hardware problem, or something they were doing wrong is unknown...).

Certainly, the ProBook experience is not quite the "real" Mac experience, but it is one of the easiest laptops to hack. Of course, you could buy one, try it, and if you didn't like it, sell the laptop and go to plan "B" (save money to buy a Mac?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back