Contribute
Register

Need solution to an old Mac Pro Hackintosh conversion problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your not bothered about the hot swap bays or keeping the 'Mac Pro' look why not just do away with the SAS wiring loom and install a regular 3.5" drive rack which will allow you to use ATX power connectors and regular SATA cabling. You can even get a 5.25" - 3.5" adaptor to install a regular hard drive in the lower of the two optical drive bays.

Currently I have my SSD mounted with some velcro. The entire goal of my build is for it to look as much stock as possible.

I did solder a SATA cable to the HDD harness and it actually worked but it looks pretty messy and ugly. I also feel like I just didn't do a good job at soldering. There is 8 x 4 individual SATA wires to solder and there is 4 Power wires. All together that is 36 wires. I just don't feel like putting in the effort for a mediocre at best result.

I'll be buying the SAS adapter today.

Did you get the SAS adapter working? Looking at trying to retain the sata ports in my Mac Pro case build and this is the best solution I've seen so far... but there isn't an "It worked!" post yet. I know this is old, but RSVP. :)

I then managed to get in touch with the owner of maxupgrades.com and ordered part# SZ-DCMSAS-R14X. This consists of an SFF 8087 to 8087 female to female adaptor/coupler and it's associated SFF 8087 to four SATA cable.

View attachment 150614
I used this adapter and works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back