4. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Plus
  4. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My current machine uses a GA-Z87X-D3H and has been nothing but problems with more than 2 X 4GB of memory. I have searched the forums, and apparently lots of people are having problems with Z87X boards when they install more than two sticks of memory. There are some possible solutions by tweaking all sorts of UEFI settings, but I would really like to avoid doing that, and currently can't, as I can't get into the UEFI as my Apple USB keyboard is not recognized until after OS X starts to post.

With 4 X 4GB OS X constantly freezes and I have to do a hard re-boot.

With 2 X 8GB the board always freezes when waking from sleep and sometimes freezes in use, and I get constant graphics glitches; windows jumping in width and then returning to their original size a second later. (Graphics is Gigabyte GTX 760 with 2GB).

2 X 4GB and everything is more or less stable with only occasional jumping windows.

What I am looking for is a board that is 100% stable and will support 4 X 8GB with stock UEFI settings, and is trouble free when installing Yosemite. I don't intend to overclock. I am thinking about a GA-Z97-D3H to go with the i7-4771 that I already have, and then getting another 2 X 8GB Crucial Ballistix to bring me up to 32GB.

My current build is the GA-H97M-D3H, and I have no issues with 32 gigs of ram. Also my previous build was the GA-Z87X-UD4H and it also worked fine.

@mucksavage
Would you tell us what specific make and model of ram you are using in your systems ?
That can make a huge difference in how it performs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back