Graphics
Nvidia 8500 GT
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
I have just now gotten ML to load and be functional, but it took some effort (some details below), and I still can't boot directly. I need some help with post install.

First, I had a fully functional installation of Lion (OK, mostly functional sleep didn't work, it would never wake up). I also have a functioning install of SL on another physical drive. Booting in SL I made an image of my Lion disk, and then put that image on a brand new drive (Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB Hybrid). I verified that the Lion image was working, and it was truly a clone of my existing Lion install. This way I didn't risk my working Lion install, and I could easily make multiple attempts. It also let me edit the ML image from either Lion or SL.

I then made a UniBeast 1.5.2 USB drive in Lion with the ML image I had purchased from the App Store. The first few attempts didn't go so well. It would get to the point where it went from text to a graphical UI, only the UI never showed up. I tried with legacy USB and laptop options, and on the second try I was able to finally complete the install. I had tried earlier with UniBeast 1.5.0 with similar results, and failing mid-install. I recopied the image of Lion to the new drive to get rid of anything that was corrupted. Finally it fully completed the update. The UniBeast seems a little flakey with the graphics, but eventually it did work.

I then tried to boot ML using the UniBeast boot loader (boot from the USB drive and select ML). It would never fully complete the boot. Looking at the verbose boot messages, it seemed to be related to the FakeSMC.kext. I removed that kext from the /System/Extensions folder, and it got further in the boot process. It then looked like it was crashing due to dependencies in IntelCPUMonitor.kext. I removed that kext as well and the system was able to continue to boot to the ML set up dialogs, and was working. Note that these files were working in Lion, but do NOT work in ML.

I haven't had time to fully test everything, but most things appear to work fine. Audio, at least playback works. Graphics with both monitors seems to work fine as well. It might be a little slower than ML, but its too soon to really tell.

There does still seem to be a Chameleon bootloader on the ML driver from the Lion install, but if I use that to boot the system it goes a little while and the PC reboots. The only way I can boot it is from the MultiBeast USB drive bootloader.

So, here is where I really could use some help.

There doesn't appear to be a version of MultiBeast yet for ML. So how do I install a boot loader? Can I copy the /boot file and the org.chameleon.Boot.plist files from the USB drive to the ML drive? Will that work? How else do I get a bootloader installed?

What exactly do the FakeSMC.kext and IntelCPUMonitor.kext do? Are they no longer needed with ML?
What other post install files should I have? How best to install them without MultiBeast.

Another very annoying problem is that if I leave the HackIntosh idle, it will go into a low power state with the monitors in standby. The computer remains on, but I can't wake it up. Mouse movement, mouse clicks, keyboard activity, even short taps of the power button on the PC, even plugging a new device into USB all fail to wake the computer. The only recovery is to hold the power button on the PC to power off and then reboot.

The computer is a little old now, it is an HP m9040n desktop with an Asus IPBL motherboard that seems custom for HP. It is an Intel Q6600 Core 2 quad 2.4 GHz, with 8 GB of RAM. The video card is a minor upgrade with an Nvidia GeForce 8500GT video card with 1 GB of RAM. None of the drives are original, with 2 of the Seagate 500GB Momentus XL hybrids as boot drives. One for Win7, the other for ML. There are two large drives formatted as NTFS for storage. One SATA port is used for eSATA, with a Maxtor 500 GB drive in a dock for the Lion drive, the SL is on another 320GB drive in a USB dock.

I also have a Renesas/NEC based USB 3.0 SuperSpeed card in a PCIe slot. It does work in ML, however even with a SS drive it only works at 480 Mbps. Is there any way to get USB 3 working with this (extremely popular) USB 3 controller now that Apple supports USB 3?

I apologize in advance if some of my questions such as installing the bootloader are trival. I still consider myself a Mac Noobi, although I am getting a little more familiar with the ways of MacIntosh after now going through 3 versions of installs.

Thanks in advance for your help! This site, and all the "Beasts" have been a GREAT help!

UPDATE: In looking in more detail, it appears that the bootloader installs itself in another (~209 MB) partition on the drive. So, just copying the boot file over obviously won't work. I should have known that. Sorry. So, how do I install a boot loader that works (such as the one on UniBeast 1.5.2) without MultiBeast for ML?

Thanks, sort of worked but other problems then with SMC, ACPI

kduvernay, thank you for the pointer to the bootloader installer.

I did the install, and it gets further, but won't finish booting. While I can boot from the UniBeast 1.5.2 USB into ML, if I boot using the bootloader that is installed I get numerous errors and then it hangs. The errors appear to be based on ACPI initialization SMC. The problems are likely due to having removed the FakeSMC.kext so now there are no drivers. Somehow when booting from the USB key it gets around this, but not from the bootloader installed.

Is there a FakeSMC.kext for ML that I should be using?

As I mentioned in my original post, FakeSMC.kext and then IntelCPUMonitor.kext which appeared to have dependencies on FakeSMC.kext, or so it seemed were removed to get the computer to complete booting.

Any help for the FakeSMC.kext, or other suggestions?

Solution for some of the problems - thanks

After doing a little digging, I found that there was a FakeSMC.kext file on the MultiBeast 1.5.2 that was a newer version (4.2.0) than what I had (3.1.0). Dropping the 4.2.0 version into the Extras folder in ML now allows it to boot!!! Thanks, I can now boot directly into ML without the USB key. I will look at some of the other .kext files as well and see if there are later or missing versions. Hopefully some of them will fix the problem where I can't wake up the computer if it goes into a low power state.

I'll see if the IntelCPUMonitor.kext also can be loaded if it was a dependency problem. Does anyone know what IntelCPUMonitor.kext does?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back