Contribute
Register

NEED Parts Advice for Simple Small Fanless VANILLA 6+ core build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone loves their MacPro killers, but ALL I need is a silent very small fanless Six Core (or more) VANILLA (EASY) build. NO GPU, and I don't care if it's AMD or Intel. All I need is advice on a Small Case (mini-atx/mini-itx/whatever, the smaller the better frankly), a fanless PSU, and a MotherBoard. I'm open to a lot of ideas, I don't even HAVE to have wifi/bt on this Hackintosh, but I prefer it.

I can use SSD, or M.2 NVMe SSD, or whatever. I really don't care.
I don't care if it's AMD or Intel. I'm obviously going to install some RAM maybe 32gb, but that's an after thought for me.
I'd like to install this WIFI/BT card that works out of the box with MacOS as of Jan 2020. Fenvi T919. (Amazon link in case you haven't heard of this card: https://www.amazon.com/fenvi-Continuity-BCM94360CD-1750Mbps-Beamforming/dp/B07VCCZS54/) But if push comes to shove I prefer as small a chassis as I can get for a 6 (or more) core CPU.

I want components that will make the MAC install easy, and vanilla, and which will work with some known easy tutorials - perhaps from Margonaut on youTube (she's pretty cool). That really matters. I used to be in IT so I'm not stupid, but I just don't feel like getting too deep on this mackintosh.

I will be using this mackintosh for simple voice over recording using Twisted Wave, where I apply vocal processing effects. No video editing. Nothing too powerful. Just something that will work well with MacOS.

I truly appreciate any recommendations on a CASE, FANLESS PSU, MB combo.

Last edited:
I think you are going to have trouble cooling a 6 core desktop CPU passively. You might need to do some measurements if you are going for a small case, but there are some wonderful large high end air coolers available such as the Noctua d14/d15. The fans only need to spin at a couple hundred RPM to do the job.

You should be able to do a finless PSU no problem though (I have no specific recommendations).

If you want Vanilla and easy, you're going to be using Intel. Since you seem to be going for performance, go with the i5-9600K (6 core) or the i7-9700k (8 core). You can probably under-volt these to make them run cooler. There are a few other choices in this family, including some lower power options, just make sure you don't get one with an "F" in the name, as these don't have an iGPU.

I think you are going to have trouble cooling a 6 core desktop CPU passively. You might need to do some measurements if you are going for a small case, but there are some wonderful large high end air coolers available such as the Noctua d14/d15. The fans only need to spin at a couple hundred RPM to do the job.

You should be able to do a finless PSU no problem though (I have no specific recommendations).

If you want Vanilla and easy, you're going to be using Intel. Since you seem to be going for performance, go with the i5-9600K (6 core) or the i7-9700k (8 core). You can probably under-volt these to make them run cooler. There are a few other choices in this family, including some lower power options, just make sure you don't get one with an "F" in the name, as these don't have an iGPU.

Thanks for the feedback, that's helpful! I suppose I don't mind air cooling the CPU as long as the fan is quiet. I can set the computer outside of my vocal booth.

A fanless PSU would be the best, for sure. I wonder how powerful my PSU needs to be if I'm running a i5-9600K (6 core). I think that's plenty of power. I was even thinking a Core i5-8400.

Thanks for the feedback, that's helpful! I suppose I don't mind air cooling the CPU as long as the fan is quiet. I can set the computer outside of my vocal booth.

A fanless PSU would be the best, for sure. I wonder how powerful my PSU needs to be if I'm running a i5-9600K (6 core). I think that's plenty of power. I was even thinking a Core i5-8400.

If you are running an i5 or i7 at stock speed with no discrete GPU you will have very low power requirements. 450 watts or higher will be okay. spend your money on a high quality brand like corsair or seasonic and don't worry very much about the wattage.

Thanks again!
By the way, what's up with your username? Anti-Eating Activist?

You could get inspired from this build style, or check out the posibilities

with the new 10Th gen intel NUC some can be tranfered into an passive cooled cabinet , but its quite costive but they are incredibel small and handy, some very powerful ! you will be supriced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back