Contribute
Register

Need new graphics card in my old 2012 Hackintosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
HD4000 (GTX 560 Ti)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hey everyone, I hope you're all doing well! :)

So, I have started my journey down the Hackintosh road back in 2012, and I managed to build a relatively reliable and juicy machine for the time being.
I am still using this machine on a daily basis, and meanwhile there is a few minor things wrong, one of the RAMs died, and more recently, my graphics card caused problems and is probably broken. Thus, I'd like to get a new one.

I was thinking about getting a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti G1 Gaming, since it is not too expensive and yet quite a decent budget card.
I also chose this card because it was still listed in the nVidia graphics cards list in the buyers guide section as of last week. As of now, the nVidia cards disappeared completely. Can anyone tell my why?
And, would the GTX 1050 Ti G1 work fine in this build? Or are there better options?

What I NEED from the new system is:
All the old hardware + new graphics card to be compatible with at least OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Old hardware:

GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
i7-3770K
3x4 GB Corsair 1333 MHz DDR3
TL-WDN4800
120GB SSD

Thanks in advance! :)

You could use the 1050 Ti with High Sierra but not Mojave. There are no Nvidia web drivers for Mojave so it won't work. If you can get a good price on one, install High Sierra and hope for the best. The AMD RX 560 performs almost as well and can be used with Mojave right now. Just avoid the XFX brand if you go with one of the RX 560s.

Here's a 4GB RX560 Sapphire Pulse. Will work with HS or Mojave. OOB no drivers to install or to wait for after an update.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077WDBWGG/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last edited:
You could use the 1050 Ti with High Sierra but not Mojave. There are no Nvidia web drivers for Mojave so it won't work. If you can get a good price on one, install High Sierra and hope for the best. The AMD RX 560 performs almost as well and can be used with Mojave right now. Just avoid the XFX brand if you go with one of the RX 560s.

Thx for the quick reply!
Actually I don't need to run Mojave/the latest OSX version possible, what I really need is just the minimum version of OSX to run the minimum version of Safari that has the responsive design mode in the dev tools (sounds weird I know :lol: ).
Do you by chance know whether the RX 560 also supports 4k in OSX? Cause that'd be a thing to consider for the future.
I do not have 4k needs now, but it'd be sweet to already have the possibility.

Do you by chance know whether the RX 560 also supports 4k in OSX? Cause that'd be a thing to consider for the future.
Yes, in 10.13.6 or 10.14.3 you can connect a 4K monitor via DP and get 4K @60Hz very easily.

Actually I don't need to run Mojave/the latest OSX version possible, what I really need is just the minimum version of OSX to run the minimum version of Safari that has the responsive design mode in the dev tools
If you want to go back to El Capitan then get a used GTX 760 or 770 which are natively supported. I think that the 1050 Ti might work with 10.11.5 or .6 and the web drivers but I've not tried that. Search the forums to find out for sure if it works.

Last edited:
I think that the 1050 Ti will work with 10.11.5 or .6 and the web drivers but I've not tried that. Search the forums to find out for sure if it works.

No, Pascal cards are only supported by the Nvidia web drivers starting from 10.12.4.

No, Pascal cards are only supported by the Nvidia web drivers starting from 10.12.4.
That's what I thought. So it would be best to get a supported card like the 760/770 for El Capitan.

Here's a 4GB RX560 Sapphire Pulse. Will work with HS or Mojave. OOB no drivers to install or to wait for after an update.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077WDBWGG/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

So today my RX 560 Pulse (just the one your linked) arrived, and I'm having problems...
As I've been using the nVidia card before, I uninstalled anything that said nVidia/Geforce and then put the RX 560 in.
And now here's what happens:
  1. switch on PC
  2. motherboard single beep & BIOS screen
  3. black screen with what looks like a command prompt in the top left corner
  4. after a few seconds there is some gibberish symbols scattered across the screen (see photo attached)
Any ideas on what might be the problem here?
Sth concerning the bootloader, BIOS or MultiBeast config?

Here's my recent configuration:

MultiBeast Configuration - 2019-02-27 04:55:40
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Quick Start > DSDT Free
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > ALC898
Drivers > Disk > 3rd Party SATA
Drivers > Disk > TRIM Enabler > 10.9.4+ TRIM Patch
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v6.9.1315
Drivers > Network > Atheros > AtherosL1cEthernet 1.2.3
Drivers > System > AppleRTC Patch for CMOS Reset
Bootloaders > Chimera v3.0.1
Customize > Boot Options > Basic Boot Options
Customize > Boot Options > Generate CPU States
Customize > Boot Options > GraphicsEnabler=Yes
Customize > Boot Options > Hibernate Mode - Desktop
Customize > Boot Options > Use KernelCache
Customize > System Definitions > Mac Pro > Mac Pro 3,1
Customize > Themes > tonymacx86 Black

Cheers and thx for any insight on this! :)

Attachments

• 7770DV_w.jpeg
    7770DV_w.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Okay, I got it to work!
Just had to disable the Intel Graphics in the BIOS, now I am having it fully working in Win10 but in OSX I still have some issues, the screen keeps flickering for updating the screen (idk how to describe it any better).
What can I do about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back