1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
i am planning to purchase
Intel 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 i3-4150 (BX80646I34150) Processor

is it compatible to mavericks?
if what what would be the suitable mother board?
do we need additional graphics card?

Thanks,
Naresh

i am planning to purchase
Intel 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 i3-4150 (BX80646I34150) Processor

is it compatible to mavericks?
if what what would be the suitable mother board?
do we need additional graphics card?

Thanks,
Naresh

care2achieve welcome to the forum. Before purchasing parts for a system you should read all of the "Start Here" section found under the "Guides" tab.

The main thing that the i3-4150 has going for it is the low price. It can be used in a OS X hack. The main draw back is the HD4400 Intel Graphics which takes extra steps to bring up (you should search on this subject and learn about HD4600 vs HD4400).

For a small additional amount you could have an i3-4330 which does support HD4600 and runs the current Mavericks and Yosemite without issue.

You can read the buyer's guide and decide the level of system that you want to own. The guide identifies the components needed. If you stay with the recommended components you should have a good experience if you can follow the appropriate installation guides.

Good modding,
neil

+1 to what Neilhart has stated. I've used HD3000, HD4000 and now HD4600 Intel cpus and
always found some use for the "on chip" integrated graphics. The best part is that you'll know
they are very easy to get working and will be supported by Apple for many years to come. That
is not always the case with discrete graphics cards. So in summary I've always found it a good
choice to spend the small amount of extra cash on a cpu with HD3000/4000/4600. You would
be wise to choose any of the H97 Asus or Gigabyte motherboards from the buyer's guide to
pair with an I3-4330 or I3-4360. Determine which form factor case you want and then buy
the specific ITX mATX or ATX motherboard that will work in that case.

If you're a gamer or video editor you'll likely need to add discrete graphics but for most all other
uses the HD4600 will get the job done for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back