Contribute
Register

Need help with the internal "best practice" storage concept using NLEs with my upcoming Hackintosh

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Could I ask, what if Premier were not a part of the equation and FCPX was your only NLE? Would your drive configuration change?

Seems like FCPX has done away with the need for separate drives as a scratch disk, etc. but I'm sure I don't know much when it comes to drive optimization.
Good question. I researched the web and found the information shown in the backlog. Since Premiere takes advantage and supports dedicated paths in the preferences i don't really bothered about FCPX since Premiere takes advantage of it.
If FCPX is at least able to take advantage of the installed drives it'd be fine, but i won't be unhappy if not.

CPU
intel 2 core
Hi! I also run a Freenas server and i can't pass the 100MB/s reading in Premiere. The system easily hits 1Gb/s in larger files transfer from windows clients (reads or writes) but in Premiere, it never passes 100mb/s. I use the server for editing directly on the server. Did you had the same problem with your Freenas?

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5
CPU
Intel Core i5-6600K
Graphics
Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 OC
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Are you mounting via SMB, NFS or AFP? If it's SMB then you're going to have speed issues on OS X due to the fact they basically wrote their own SMB implementation...badly. I've seen speed issues happen with NAS units that have a 4x 10 GbE backend.

Try mounting it over AFP or NFS (caveat on NFS: make sure your permissions are good before you mount) and see if your speeds increase.

CPU
intel 2 core
Hi! I also run a Freenas server and i can't pass the 100MB/s reading in Premiere. The system easily hits 1Gb/s in larger files transfer from windows clients (reads or writes) but in Premiere, it never passes 100mb/s. I use the server for editing directly on the server. Did you had the same problem with your Freenas?
Hi, I have the same problem with my FreeNas and i don't know hot to fix it. Did you fix you server by now? How?

CPU
intel 2 core
Are you mounting via SMB, NFS or AFP? If it's SMB then you're going to have speed issues on OS X due to the fact they basically wrote their own SMB implementation...badly. I've seen speed issues happen with NAS units that have a 4x 10 GbE backend.

Try mounting it over AFP or NFS (caveat on NFS: make sure your permissions are good before you mount) and see if your speeds increase.
Thank you for your help! I am mounting via SMB from windows 10 machines. I could not make it work via NFS (i managed to connect to the server but could not make it write on that pool). I did not tried on AFP because the editors need it to work on windows. I will try to see how it works on AFP and will come back.

Meanwhile, i noticed that the good speeds of 1GB/s work only on large files but when i try to read or copy DPX files (10mb in size), i can only get 60-100 MB/s. I checked the pool speeds with bonnie++ and all speeds checkout ok.