Intel
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all,

I am debating a G4 cube build with the upcoming i7-5775c (integrated graphics only) and asus maximus vii impact. But I have a few questions. First, is it possible to mod the handle to use it as a carrying handle. I'd like this to be a very portable system. Second, has anyone tried fitting an AIO liquid cooler in it? And Lastly, power supply recommendations. I hear picoPSU from mini-box.com is a popular choice. Any other options? Is it possible to fit an sfx psu? TBH, what I'd really like is to have it partially battery powered (30min-1 hr) so I can unplug it and move it around without having to turn it off. Not really sure how to go about doing this though...

Thanks in advance for the help!

i did some measurements on the cube i have on hand, and it seems like you COULD potentially fit one in there. There are some limitations though:

1. no dedicated gpu (which doesn't seem to be a problem for you)
2. you will not be able to keep the handle AND the cd/dvd drive
3. airflow will go downwards, which is not optimal

But imho i'd go with a pico psu, since they will provide enough power for a cpu only config. and you can outsource one heat generating component, which is always nice.

As far as the handle thing goes:
It would take a little bit of drilling and metal work, but i think it might be possible.

Best regards,
Neander94

Hi all,

I am debating a G4 cube build with the upcoming i7-5775c (integrated graphics only) and asus maximus vii impact. But I have a few questions. First, is it possible to mod the handle to use it as a carrying handle. I'd like this to be a very portable system. Second, has anyone tried fitting an AIO liquid cooler in it? And Lastly, power supply recommendations. I hear picoPSU from mini-box.com is a popular choice. Any other options? Is it possible to fit an sfx psu? TBH, what I'd really like is to have it partially battery powered (30min-1 hr) so I can unplug it and move it around without having to turn it off. Not really sure how to go about doing this though...

The whole reason for the handle is it is the release mechanism for extracting the core, so naturally if you keep it then it is not there to be a carrying handle. If you want to carry around the whole thing then of course you could add a handle or you could change the function of the original one so it does NOT release the core.

An AIO cooler will not fit into the standard core of the Cube. You would basically have to completely remove the entire core to fit one in. So the full answer is yes it can be done, but not without a full re-design of the Cube itself.

As for an SFX PSU - the easiest way to answer that is for you to look at the other current cube thread about 6/8 core as this subject is covered there. Naturally you will NOT get an SFX PSU and an AIO cooler into the same space.

Making something partially battery powered could be done and would be an interesting project.

The key thing though with any Cube project is to realise that you cannot do everything all at the same time. Set goals for yourself that are not mutually exclusive.....e.g. if you want battery power then you are looking for a small low power efficient build.

The single most neglected aspect about putting stuff into a Cube is to remember that you need to leave enough room for cables and for the thing to breath as there is only one air path. You may have 17cm x 17cm x 17cm potential space, but in reality the useable area is more often than not much less.

I recommend you spend at least a day reading about everyone else's builds and then sitting down and deciding what your goals are.

One final thing - your chosen board is great, but it is also one of the hardest boards to squeeze into a Cube as it has a lot of high components on the board at the side and this can prove to be an issue if you are keeping the original Cube core as a framework.

First, is it possible to mod the handle to use it as a carrying handle. I'd like this to be a very portable system.

If you leave the top grill unscrewed you can remove it and then use the gap as a pseudo handle.

Hi all,

From reading your post I assume that you do not have a G4 Cube in hand.

You should acquire one and evaluate it real time and see the challenges that you face trying to mod one and keep its' outward appearance mostly un-changed.

While the 65W i7-5775c should be doable, it is not a free ride and will take an effort to complete a mod that will with stand 24/7 usage.

Good modding,
neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back