so ignore me
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello.

I've been working on a mini PC built within a 17" iMac G4 housing and while I am oh so close to finishing, I have a couple of issues... First, I've opened up the fan to switch the stator and control board to one with PWM, and now I've forgotten how to reassemble it! The part that's confusing me is all the little rings... I can't remember which order they go in! I usually take pictures, but I forgot this time and thought it would be easy. I've looked online and the fans I've seen disassembled don't have nearly as much parts! If someone has taken theirs apart, I'd love to know the order of these little bits!

The second and more difficult issue I have is with the neck assembly, where the spring part came apart and refused to go back in (even after several hours of attempts), to the point that it straight up broke (the plastic part that goes through the spring). I'm in the process of casting a new part using the toughest polyurethane casting resin I could afford (along with some carbon fibre powder for added strength), but in case that fails, does anyone have any neck parts from a 15" iMac G4? I figured that the spring assembly from that one would have the right tension for a lighter LCD panel as I switched over to a 17.3" LED panel which is much lighter than the original LCD. Hope to hear from anyone soon and if there is anything you'd like to know about my project, please feel free to ask. Hope everyone is safe and well.

I would love to see some pics of your progress. I have both a 15" and 17", but have not disassembled the neck assembly (hopefully in the next couple weeks). The 15" was gutted years ago and the 17" is fully functional. What size motherboard did you choose for your build? I know Mini-ITX, Mini-STX, and NUC will all fit inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back