CPU
i7-870
Graphics
GTX 960
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've narrowed in on two (or three) Syba FireWire ExpressCards to put in my 4530 but am uncertain as to which one will fit.

The encasing (for lack of proper word), that is, the part that flushes with the outside of the laptop, seems taller on one than on the other. On one, the FireWire ports are oriented vertically, making for (what seems) a taller profile. On the other the ports are oriented horizontally, and making for a flatter profile. They both say 34mm (and nothing else regarding size) but I just can't believe from looking at the pictures (links below) that they would both fit in the opening on the 4530 the same way. Not only does there seem to be a size difference, but the 'encasing' seems to be shaped differently as it goes inside the laptop.

I'm trying to get their tech support to help me, but who knows when… so I'm asking here if anyone has dealt with this.

http://www.sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=78
http://www.syba.com/index.php?controller=Product&action=Info&Id=645

Additionally, I understand that installing a FW card will block the USB 3 port and the HDMI, but that it is possible to use some sort of 'right angle' thing to avoid blocking them. The problem is, I can't find any information on this procedure or hardware anywhere… I would love to be able to retain both USB 3 and HDMI, so if you know anything about this 'right angle' thing, I'd appreciate an assist.

Thanks,
Rob

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3: F5
CPU
i7-870
Graphics
GTX 960
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just found on the Presonus audio site that there are several users who have a StarTech FireWire ExpressCard (EC13942) in their 4530s and they seem to be quite happy with the performance. It obviously fits and also has the TI chipset so I'm going with it.

But I still have a question regarding the whole 'angle' thing to avoid blocking the USB3 and HDMI ports.

Rob

Motherboard
ProBook 4530s
CPU
i3 2310
Graphics
Integrated
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I have the StarTech 1A1B card for my Apogee Duet (will also use with the Presonus FP-10) and it works great.
http://ca.startech.com/Cards-Adapte...pter-1A-and-B-Port-1x1394a-1x1394b~EC13941A1B

Keep in mind you will need a damn powerful extra power adapter for it unless your firewire device takes power from its own supply. I think my Presonus would work fine without extra power, but the Apogee Duet needed a $50 2000+mA adapter from Future Shop.

I have a USB 2.0 hub with a right angle that works with the USB 2.0 port on the left hand side. You could probably get the same thing for USB 3.0, but remember, the kext for USB 3.0 for Mac is still very sketchy and unreliable, I wouldn't trust it (if things have changed someone please tell me otherwise! I miss USB 3.0 on Mac!!)

I assume the same might be possible for the HDMI, but since it is a bulkier port, it might not squeeze inside of the expresscard (the USB hub does just barely).

In that case, I recommend just using the VGA which can also output 1080p quite well (just make sure to leave it on extend desktop and don't try to set it to mirror displays or you will get a blue screen freeze).

I was eyeing an HDMI right angle adapter but I have to pay to order it in and don't want to waste the money if it won't actually fit. Hoping to see if someone braver than I has success...

Status
Not open for further replies.