Contribute
Register

Need help with finishing touches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! I have a couple long term issues that I've been trying to fix to no avail; Screen saver causes lock ups and Power Management.

Hardware:
Intel i7 4790k (stock speed)
MSI GTX 980 TI (latest Nvidia web driver)
ASUS Maximus VII Gene (Z97) motherboard
32GB DDR3 g.skill RAM (4x8GB) (running XMP 1867mhz)

Software:
macOS 10.12.4
Clover 4045 (See attached config.plist to see what all I have set up. (Cleansed of my serial numbers))
Using iStat Menus to monitor system

Kexts (in EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.12: (all latest versions))
AtherosE2200Ethernet
FakeSMC
IntelMausiEthernet
USBInjectAll
And running HWSensors kexts (installed on Macintosh HD)

Okay - with that out of the way, on to my issues.

Screen saver lock ups
This doesn't happen too reliably, but it's getting worse over time. This is the most pressing issue I have, and no one else seems to have it. I changed from a Gigabyte mobo to this ASUS board hoping that would fix it, but while it fixed my other issues, this has persisted. It started when I upgraded to Sierra. If the screen saver (any of them) turns on, and sits for between 5 to 10 minutes, usually sometime after the system has locked itself (I.E needing me to enter the password) the whole system will get... glitchy when I wake it up for about 60 seconds. Safari won't load pages, dragging windows around the desktop will be jerky (like the screen is refreshing every few seconds.) Attempting to open an application (such as Mail) during this time will have the application bouncing on the dock for around 30 seconds (the icon bounces smoothly - so I know the screen is refreshing properly) but will eventually end with an error message saying that the application crashed. After the 60 or so seconds, everything returns to normal and the system works again. It's infuriating to say the least - it would be faster for me to just shut down my computer every time I walk away. And for security reasons, I need to use a screensaver. iStat Menus sometimes shows up with higher than normal CPU usage, but nothing seems out of the ordinary.
Occasionally the screensaver it self will be lagging - like there is a 1/2 second gap between frames, but this doesn't usually happen. If the screen saver runs for more than a half hour or so, I don't usually have an issue.

Is this possibly a RAM issue? I've never had a problem with it before... Ironically since I put in the new ASUS mobo, sleep has been working fine. I can sleep it and wake it for a couple days at least without it crashing overnight. Which is nice.

I've not seen anyone else with this issue, but the fact that it's prevailed with two separate Mobo's suggests its not a hardware issue; this was never an issue in El Capitan so I have no idea.

Power Management
This is the second issue I've had since day one and with both mobos. I've followed the following guide several times to the T: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/quick-guide-to-generate-a-ssdt-for-cpu-power-management.177456/

Even Toleda himself has tried to help me, but if I use the guide, my Intel Power Tool just shows my CPU stuck at over 4ghz. I can't get it to do power stepping properly. I've seen many other builds that got this working, but nothing seems to do the trick... This has been frustrating me for a very long time. Is there anyone else out there with my build that's gotten this working? The SSDT I generate seems to only contain 3 power steps, and as such the system cant fluctuate properly.

Can someone check over my config.plist and see if it looks right?

Thanks to everyone here for all the help over the last couple years getting this working!

Config is messy. Your config has a FakeID why are you using a FakeID on a i7 4790k? Not needed. AppleLPC isn't loaded neither which doesn't help things ioreg shows that X86PlatformPlugin is loaded however no AppleLPC, SMBUS or MCHC Device.

Config is messy. Your config has a FakeID why are you using a FakeID on a i7 4790k? Not needed. AppleLPC isn't loaded neither which doesn't help things ioreg shows that X86PlatformPlugin is loaded however no AppleLPC, SMBUS or MCHC Device.

I'll remove the FakeID from Clover (that's where I put it, aye? Not sure why I have it either. Must be a left over artifact). What should I do for the AppleLPC / X86PlatformPlugin? Do you have a thread or link you suggest look at to learn more?

Thanks!!

I'll remove the FakeID from Clover (that's where I put it, aye? Not sure why I have it either. Must be a left over artifact). What should I do for the AppleLPC / X86PlatformPlugin? Do you have a thread or link you suggest look at to learn more?

Thanks!!

You need to spoof a supported Device ID. Use SSDT-LPC from Github. You will need to add change _DSM to XDSM in order to use SSDTs. Use Xcode to copy Patch over not Textedit. https://github.com/VoiletDragon/Series-9-Patches

You need to spoof a supported Device ID. Use SSDT-LPC from Github. You will need to add change _DSM to XDSM in order to use SSDTs. Use Xcode to copy Patch over not Textedit. https://github.com/VoiletDragon/Series-9-Patches

Okay, I'll see if I can figure it out.

If I put the SSDT in my patched ACPI folder, will I need to change its name? To SSDT-1 since I already have a working PM SSDT now?

Also - do I need to drop the tables I mentioned above?

Thanks so much! You've been such a great help time and time again. I'll reupload my EFI folder and ioreg later once I've done what you said.

Okay, I'll see if I can figure it out.

If I put the SSDT in my patched ACPI folder, will I need to change its name? To SSDT-1 since I already have a working PM SSDT now?

Also - do I need to drop the tables I mentioned above?

Thanks so much! You've been such a great help time and time again. I'll reupload my EFI folder and ioreg later once I've done what you said.

No. Leave SSDT.aml as it is. Drop Tables are not needed with your hardware. Reboot. Verify Powermanagement.

Okay, did as you said. Couldn't find what FakeID you were talking about - unless you mean the FakePCIID kext?

Here's my stuff now:

I know you guys said that IPG isn't reliable, but for kicks I ran it - stuck at 4.40GHz the whole way. Is it misreading? Should I just delete it at this point?

Also - what SMBIOS would you personally use? I just tried 15,1 but of course, it booted to blank screens without doing any graphics patches. I feel like that's going to be a larger rabbit hole to fall down...

I should also note that the screen saver issue is still there even with working PM.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 3.56.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 3.56.34 PM.png
    116.2 KB · Views: 79
  • PowerMac.ioreg
    4.8 MB · Views: 107
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 4.07.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 4.07.55 PM.png
    96.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 4.07.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 4.07.58 PM.png
    56.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Clover2.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
There are a number of fixes here that will allow you to try 15,1 profile.

Again, Intel Power Gadget is just not reliable on all occasions; take its result with a pinch of salt. Better still, delete it.

If you are ok doing the graphics patch linked above (It really is quite straight forward and easy to do), then go for the 15,1 profile. If you really cant get that working, consider 14,2 as your fallback position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back