Contribute
Register

Need help with finishing touches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres a couple of things you can change straight away.

First is 'Multi Core Enhancement' - set to enabled.

Second, it says 'Auto' for C-States. This is not always a good idea as auto can play tricks with your system. Go into that option and enable all C states.

With that last BIOS update I sent you, still no extra c states on terminal test:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 10.29.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 10.29.06 PM.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 78
I'll change C7 latency to "short" if you think that's best.

That said, I let it sit - does this look normal? I see it never goes below 18. I let it sleep, then after you wrote that, I woke it up and let the kext run for an hour while I ate dinner. It's never looked like this before so... is this working? :D

Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 12.28.09 AM.png

Last edited:
Two other things to note:

I'm not dropping any tables in config.plist
(SSDT > TabledId > CpuPm
SSDT > TabledId > Cpu0Ist)

Should I be dropping these?

I was also told that running iMac 15,1 would be better for my system than 14,2. I remember back in the day hearing that would cause issues, is that still true? Should I change my SMBIOS?

Your P states there look much better, yup. Some can take a long time to be reached.

Regarding your system definition, well, its ultimately up to you. You could maybe try out both and see which works best for you. The P state output above does look encouraging though.

A little bit of info regarding the system definitions. 14,2 is currently the goto definition in most cases. It is known to work well with a lot of different hardware combinations and is relatively forgiving compared to some others, particularly in the case of graphics.

15,1 is a newer definition, and was brought into use for the late 2014 retina imacs. This only used a radeon graphics controller; no built-in Intel HD graphics, and no nVidia either. There is a tweak that allows an nvidia graphics controller to be used in this scenario though, and is quite easy to implement. I have not looked at using Intels HD graphics in this setup.

Now onto the processors. The 14,x series used Haswell mid range chips such as 4770S, 4771. You can see them here and here respectively.

The 15,1 used the processor you have (4790K) and can be seen here, which is slightly higher performing but still part of the Haswell family of chips.

I have always been a fan of matching the processor to the system definition where possible although some people think it less important. If you use 14,2 with your 4790K for example, there is nothing wrong with that if it works for you.

What I can tell you though is this : I have all three processors mentioned (4790K, 4770S and 4771). I have only ever matched these to the specific system definitions in which those processors were used:

4790K > iMac15,1
4771 > iMac14,2
4770S > iMac14,3

Every one of these has worked without question including full power management, using an SSDT generated with SSDTPrGen, and all three have seen the full range of P states when tested.

Finally is the motherboard chipset. The original chipset for Haswell was the 8 series (Z87/H87 etc). Full power management is supported with this chipset, and it was indeed used by Apple. Z97 then came along which was still Haswell based but to my knowledge was never used by Apple (I am happy to stand corrected on this if it was used at some point). We know from experience that power management on 9 series boards is slightly more problematic as there isnt the same level of native support. Many users have managed to get power management working on 9 series boards but this is not universally guaranteed. Other factors come into play here such as how well the board bios is implemented by the manufacturer.

So now you have the background information regarding your hardware, possible definitions and graphic options. If you have the time and inclination you should probably test out both 14,2 and 15,1 and see which works best for you.

If I was personally in your situation I would absolutely opt for the 15,1 definition. Whichever one you opt for, do your research and make sure you have a full and complete config.plist for Clover, paying particular attention to the smbios section which defines your system definition. To make life easier, you could put both 14,2 and 15,1 config files on the same installer and switch between them at boot time.

:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back