Graphics
HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,

I've been a mac user for many years now but totally new to hackintosh. I was looking to get a new iMac since my macbook pro crashed a couple of months back (unfortunately my applecare expired weeks before my MBP died). Apple was charging me a ridiculous amount to have it repaired so getting a new one seemed to be the more practical decision. Looking at the new line of macs, I was looking for a powerful machine, but i cant really afford a mac pro, and the upgrade options on an iMac are just unreasonably expensive (upgrading to an ssd is like more than twice the price of an ssd drive). So here I am, decided to build a hackintosh. I have never assembled a computer in my life, but looking at how 13 year olds assemble a pc on YouTube, how difficult can it be?

I'm looking to build a computer to use mainly for audio recording(to use with m-audio profire 610 and logic pro) and some occasional video editing (iMovie). Since my copy of Logic pro 8 is no longer supported beyond mac os 10.6.8, I wanted to build a machine with Snow Leopard so I don't have to purchase the software again. My problem is, from where I live (Singapore), there are very few z68 mobos left. The only one available here is the Z68XP-UD3 which is hdmi only which might be a problem during installation, and I don't intend on getting a graphics card).

So now I guess I'm left with a Mountain Lion build. I've read how it is so much easier to install mac os on Z77 motherboards, so below is my proposed build. I'd appreciate any comments and suggestions.

Motherboard - these are the only two "easily hackable" motherboards available in Singapore at the moment, there are 5 other Z77 motherboards which unluckily all have VIA audio chipsets.

Gigabyte B75M-D3V - a modest motherboard which has most of my needs, I'd need a firewire card though to connect my audio interface

or

Gigabyte Z77-UP5-TH - a lot more expensive than the B75M-D3V, and many features I don't really need, but the thunderbolt ports will be very useful if I can connect my m-audio profire 610 using apple's thunderbolt to firewire adapter. Has anybody confirmed this yet?

CPU
Intel Core i7 3770 (no k) or i5 3570k
Memory
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB Low Profile (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz
Case
Corsair 550D Obsidian Series
Power Supply
Seasonic x series 660W Modular
SSD
OCZ Vertex 3 SSD Sata3 120GB

Since the machine will be used primarily for audio recording, I'd like to keep the build as quiet as possible, so I'll be using the built in graphics HD4000, plus maybe a good quiet CPU cooler (any suggestions?)

Should I decide to go the B75M-D3V route, I'd have to get one of the firewire cards recommended in the other posts such as the syba, startech or sonnet, which I'd have to order online since there are no local distributors/retailers here. I checked on local ebay sellers and here are two cards that are available and very cheap that might work:

1. with TI chipset - Dell 3 ports IEEE 1394a 'Firestorm' Firewire Internal Expansion Adapter Card
2. with Agere 323-05 chipset - IEEE 1394 Firewire Link PCI adapter card 3-Port OEM

There is a S$350 price difference between the 2 motherboards. Of course I'd want to save the $$$ but since this is my first Hacintosh, my guts tell me that the UP5 TH might be an easier install with less hassles and issues. Many seem to have had great success building with the UP5 TH while only a few using the B75 chipsets including Moarfish's build http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-builds/58062-moarfishs-build-ga-b75m-d3h-i5-3570k.html

I'll be purchasing my parts soon and would appreciate any feedback from the forum.
Thanks for reading.

Jeff

Bad News. IIRC, Snow Leopard is not compatible with 7 series motherboards and Ivy Bridge processors. So, you're stuck with the 6 series motherboards and Sandy Bridge Processors. Check out my Zorro builds for insights to Z68X-UD3H motherboard based systems. However, more bad new, Snow Leopard needs a graphics card as HD3000 integrated graphics doesn't work well until 10.6.8, and, then, not at full resolution. :thumbdown: So, look at the older build descriptions in the Golden and User Builds forum section.

However, if you decided to upgrade your applications, I recommend you highly consider the GA-Z77X-UP5-TH. I'm going to assemble a GA-Z77X-UP5 TH / i5-3570K Mountain Lion system here shortly using HD4000 to start with. Here's several items for you to consider:
  • Bit the Bullet and get the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH as it will last you 4-5 years with ThunderBolt and DisplayPort being the future for peripherals;
  • Check out Tom's H/W's Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart to see what you'll have to consider if HD4000 is not working for you;
  • Apple has forsaken AMD/ATI 6000 series graphics cards and newer;
  • See tonymacx86 Buyers Guide for 2012 for nVidia cards (link in my sig blk);
  • Consider Fractal Design R4 computer case for a quiet case;

Hi Stork, thanks for your feedback. Most of the hackintosh compatible Z68 motherboards are no longer available in Singapore so I'll probably go with a z77 and Ivy bridge mountain lion build. I'm hoping though that hd4000 will work fine as I really don't intend on getting a discreet graphics card (no time for gaming). The 550d obsidian series was recommended by the friendly sales assistant at the shop for a silent build, but I would consider the fractal design r4, hopefully it's available here in Singapore.Has anybody successfully connecteda firewire audio interface via the thunderbolt port on the up5-th using apple's firewire to thunderbolt adapter?Any feedback on the CM silent pro m2 520W?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back