gtx 980 oc
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello All,

So I started a build to create a top of the line machine for Davinci Relove as well as operate FCPX and Motion 5 better than my old 2008 Mac Pro 8core 3.0 mgz.

I bit of more than I could chew by purchasing the parts they had at the store rather than EXACTLY what others builds here on tonymac86 had in them. I assumed "newer" models of the same manufacturers and models would just work. Of course I was wrong.

After about a week, I could not finish and decided to install Windows 8 Pro (YUCK) to get back to work with at least Davinci.

I was able to make a little progress each day that I tried to install osx with unibeast (started with mavericks but got better results with yosemite attempts) on this machine by the never ending suggestions for bios updates/settings, video card temporary swaps, boot flags, kernel mods, etc. I went from verbose mode early freezes, to completing the first round of text and getting to the larger seemingly actual install text but still freezing half way thru. Never even close to a real install.

It's got to be possible as I have read a mix of threads with others builds having 1 of the big 3 components I have but not all 3. (cpu, Mobo, GFX card)

So, I am awaiting someone with this EXACT build to post instructions and I will unplug my windows HDD and try again. I will keep checking back every once in awhile to see if anyone has posted my build, but if someone can send me instructions that would be wonderful as well.

I realize this is vague on the details as far as what I have tried but rest assured I have read 100's of post/threads and tried practically everything. I cannot guess anymore with a piece of this or that thread. I am now just waiting for someone with the EXACT big 3 that I have.

I cannot wait to get os x on this monster machine and really get my edits flying.

Best of luck Guys,

Jose

Testing 1-2-3...is this thing on?

Hello All,

So I started a build to create a top of the line machine for Davinci Relove as well as operate FCPX and Motion 5 better than my old 2008 Mac Pro 8core 3.0 mgz.

I bit of more than I could chew by purchasing the parts they had at the store rather than EXACTLY what others builds here on tonymac86 had in them. I assumed "newer" models of the same manufacturers and models would just work. Of course I was wrong.

After about a week, I could not finish and decided to install Windows 8 Pro (YUCK) to get back to work with at least Davinci.

I was able to make a little progress each day that I tried to install osx with unibeast (started with mavericks but got better results with yosemite attempts) on this machine by the never ending suggestions for bios updates/settings, video card temporary swaps, boot flags, kernel mods, etc. I went from verbose mode early freezes, to completing the first round of text and getting to the larger seemingly actual install text but still freezing half way thru. Never even close to a real install.

It's got to be possible as I have read a mix of threads with others builds having 1 of the big 3 components I have but not all 3. (cpu, Mobo, GFX card)

So, I am awaiting someone with this EXACT build to post instructions and I will unplug my windows HDD and try again. I will keep checking back every once in awhile to see if anyone has posted my build, but if someone can send me instructions that would be wonderful as well.

I realize this is vague on the details as far as what I have tried but rest assured I have read 100's of post/threads and tried practically everything. I cannot guess anymore with a piece of this or that thread. I am now just waiting for someone with the EXACT big 3 that I have.

I cannot wait to get os x on this monster machine and really get my edits flying.

Best of luck Guys,

Jose

I have the same configuration as you, and have successfully installed 10.10.3

I have the ASUS X99-Deluxe, 5960X, GTX760, 16GB and am running 10.10.3 with oc at 4.71GHz. I have this running under clover as well as MB/UB. It took a while but got there and all worthwhile.
What are your problems...what step are you at....?

Hello All,

Best of luck Guys,

Jose

go on and go on you do it

Attachments

• ???? 2015-05-26 ??3.47.58.jpg
    ???? 2015-05-26 ??3.47.58.jpg
    649.5 KB · Views: 228
Hi Bradish,

Congratulation for your build.
I have the same configuration as you and I installed Yosemite 10.10.4 on it.
But i don't know how to Over clock the system... my geekbench is pretty low : 23500 64bit Multicores.
I saw score like 33000 or so... how you did the configuration of Yosemite? Clover? mulibeast? what options?

Thanks for your help !

Hi Bradish,

Congratulation for your build.
I have the same configuration as you and I installed Yosemite 10.10.4 on it.
But i don't know how to Over clock the system... my geekbench is pretty low : 23500 64bit Multicores.
I saw score like 33000 or so... how you did the configuration of Yosemite? Clover? mulibeast? what options?

Thanks for your help !

OC my system gets me a high 35,000 or low 36,000 at 4.54GHz. My system is water-cooled so that makes a big difference I think, but in any case you should be able to get 4.3GHz or better.

If you are on BIOS 1801 the use the attached CMO zip file for an example...suggest you lower the BLCK Frequency to 125.0 and the 1-Core Ratio Limit to 35 with Sync All Cores and this should get you off to a good start.

If you are using an older BIOS I don't think the BIOS will load the CMO file but you can try.

Good Luck

Lyndon

Attachments

• 4.53 1801.CMO.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 115
Thank you very much for your answer !

My BOIS is the last one : 1801.
I guess I did something wrong in the install, forgot a kext or forgot to do something because my spec ( menu apple : about this mac ) still shows 3ghz and my memory's vendor is not recognized even I change the setting in the Bios and overclocked the memory and cpu.
I used flag "UseMemDect=No" otherwise the speed of my memory is not detected.
I m running on 10.10.4 i Used chimera 4.1.0 with the flag : -f npci=0x2000 kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1 debug=0x14e
I install by unibeast, did the kernel patch and copy the kext in S/L/E. in Multibeast I only installed SATA and LAN.

Could you help me???

Thank you very much for your file!
i will try it...
i found the solution of my problem: disable the speedstep function in the bios!!!
thats all !!!

thNks anyway!

If i don't ask for too much, I would like to know whether do you have any idea on how to solve these issues:

1. Both of the ethernet cards are barely usable... unbelievable slow connection speeds, i tried to copy a 100 mb zip file and it took several minutes to complete the operation... Do you have any hint on how to solve this ?

2. While overclocked by disabling xhci in bios - the geekbench gains a 10% boost, but only 4 usb ports are usable ( the usb 2.0 ones). Is there any way to patch the kernel so that the usb 3.0 to work aswell...

3. I sometimes got a message saying that the ram is not properly placed to work full speed, ( 12 gb - 3x4gb ) But actually, acording to the manual, it's the only way for them to be placed ( have tried different combinations and they don't work).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back