Contribute
Register

Need help with 10.14 / MacPro-ish configuration (total noob!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do have wake on lan disabled, yes.

I've turned off debug and set CSR active config to 0x03FF. In addition to selecting something for the symbios as you suggested (at least picking something as close to my CPU as is listed -- i7 7700K (whereas I have an i7 8700K), I've also filled out the memory section as best I can for my memory. I'm attaching a screen shot of that whole screen.

Going to save this and try a shutdown once or twice to see if that helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-05-22 20.47.40.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-22 20.47.40.png
    1 MB · Views: 48
After two shutdown attempts, I can say that it doesn't look like that fixed it -- rebooted both times.

After two shutdown attempts, I can say that it doesn't look like that fixed it -- rebooted both times.

• Keep a copy of your current CLOVER safely in a place just in case you want to go back to that.
  • Then, Delete the current CLOVER from your System Disk>EFI>EFI>CLOVER after mounting EFI Partition using CCG.
  • Copy and paste this uploaded CLOVER to replace what was removed.
  • Don't change anything you have already done with BIOS -Chipset and Power.
  • Reboot in verbose to make sure edited CLOVER has not affected booting.
  • Then Shut Down the PC a few times to see if that Reboot on shut down problem has resolved.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 40
With that customized clover folder, this is what I saw for a verbose reboot:

So how do I put my backup copy back in?

View attachment 407953

I hope you have backed up the CLOVER before changing with my previous upload.
Continue keeping it safe.
Try this edited one.
I have removed the last time added "EmuVariable..." from drivers64UEFI and edited config.plist with SIP Disabled.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 40

View attachment 407953

If you only have this disk no backup to boot with try hitting space bar once at startup and deselect “safe mode” if it’s selected and anything else except verbose.
If it starts to boot but crashes try selecting “verbose” and “single user”.
It should end at root#. Type in without “” marks.
Root# “mount -uw”
2nd root# “fsck -fy”
3rd root# “exit”

I hope you have backed up the CLOVER before changing with my previous upload.
Continue keeping it safe.
Try this edited one.
I have removed the last time added "EmuVariable..." from drivers64UEFI and edited config.plist with SIP Disabled.

I don't have a spare SSD on hand at the moment so while I did back up my clover folder to a zip (on my thumb drive), I did not have a clone of the entire drive. My question was how to return to a working state so that I can try another time to get the clover folder fixed. Fortunately, these instructions from Gigamaxx seem to have worked:

If you only have this disk no backup to boot with try hitting space bar once at startup and deselect “safe mode” if it’s selected and anything else except verbose.
If it starts to boot but crashes try selecting “verbose” and “single user”.
It should end at root#. Type in without “” marks.
Root# “mount -uw”
2nd root# “fsck -fy”
3rd root# “exit”

^Thanks for these!

I was able to get back in, and I put in the latest CLOVER folder from cmn699. It shut down fine from that initially, but a subsequent startup and then shutdown ended with a kernel panic. I can continue to successfully boot into OSX, but every shutdown ends in a kernel panic.

I tried booting into single user mode again and following the steps: mount -uw; fsck -fy; exit --- After that I can still boot into OSX, but shutting down stops without much in the way of clues -- just this kernel panic (which I guess explains the usual reboot since I was previously running without the "don't reboot on panic" flag?)

Last edited:
I don't have a spare SSD on hand at the moment so while I did back up my clover folder to a zip (on my thumb drive), I did not have a clone of the entire drive. My question was how to return to a working state so that I can try another time to get the clover folder fixed. Fortunately, these instructions from Gigamaxx seem to have worked:

^Thanks for these!

I was able to get back in, and I put in the latest CLOVER folder from cmn699. It shut down fine from that initially, but a subsequent startup and then shutdown ended with a kernel panic. I can continue to successfully boot into OSX, but every shutdown ends in a kernel panic.

I tried booting into single user mode again and following the steps: mount -uw; fsck -fy; exit --- After that I can still boot into OSX, but shutting down stops without much in the way of clues -- just this kernel panic (which I guess explains the usual reboot since I was previously running without the "don't reboot on panic" flag?)
  • fsck -fy command used was to check and optionally repair (fix yes) one or more corrupted system files causing boot failure
  • According to the Kernel Panic screen , the underlying problem was in Kernel Cache (also known as Pre-linked kernel) in your macOSMojave System SSD(what was the name you have given to it? "Mac HD" ?).
    • This Kernel Cache contains exactly the set of kernel extensions that were needed during the previous system startup, already linked against the kernel.
    • Prelinked Kernel or Kernel cache supplies to the Startup disk the required kexts to use the devices to boot and reach Login Screen.
    • If this Prelinked Kernel is corrupt> Kernel Panic before or after CBM screen > No Login screen
    • If it is the No CBM Screen>No Boot Disk Pick>No Login Screen, then troubleshoot requires a bootable USB Installer Disk
    • If you can reach CBM screen and you have a Recovery HD , use Recovery Disk to reach MacOS Utilities screen >Utilities >Terminal
    • Fix for this, is to use the Terminal to type in commands to locate & remove kernel Cache and Shut down & reboot and let the System Rebuild a new kernel cache
  • Recovery Disk >Utilities >Terminal and the following command
Df-h
  • This lists all your volumes . Find from that the "Mac OS MoJ" [ Whatever name you have given to your macOSMojave SSD]
  • If there are Spaces in your Volume name, when typing the name in the command , you have to insert \ for the spaces
  • So, the name when you type in the Terminal will be "Mac\OS\Moj"
The command to be typed:

touch /Volumes/ Mac\OS\Moj /System Library/Extensions && kextcache -u /Volumes/ Mac\OS\Moj
This can give you an error:
"Child process [directory] has exited due to signal 10"

but if you see in the next line "Error 107 rebuilding /System Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel"
that is a good sign.
That gives you the name of directory which you need to delete

Now is the time to delete prelinked kernel directory using the command:
rm -rf [location to] /prelinkedkernel/prelinkedkernel

Once you are back on the Terminal command prompt> reboot and hopefully it is fixed.

Last edited:
what was the name you have given to it? "Mac HD" ?
The drive is named simply, "Mojave"

touch /Volumes/ Mac\OS\Moj /System Library/Extensions && kextcache -u /Volumes/ Mac\OS\Moj
This can give you an error:
"Child process [directory] has exited due to signal 10"

but if you see in the next line "Error 107 rebuilding /System Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel"
that is a good sign.
That gives you the name of directory which you need to delete
Unfortunately, I'm not getting either of the outcomes you suggested.

/Volumes/Mojave/System\ Library/ doesn't exist, so I can't touch Extensions inside of it.
I tried /Volumes/Mojave/System/Library/ which does exist, and I was able to touch Extensions inside of it, but when I run kextcache -u /Volumes/Mojave the output is:

Warning: /Volumes/Mojave/AppleInternal/Library/Extensions: No such file or directory

I'm not sure where the "AppleInternal" part is coming from. The System folder is not a symlink to anywhere else.

I can't find the AppleInternal folder to create AppleInternal/Library/Extensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back