Contribute
Register

Need help with 10.14 / MacPro-ish configuration (total noob!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm attempting to install the 10.14.5 updater now. It's rebooted several times (3?) during the install, at least once after having shown only a black screen for a minute or so, but seems to be getting farther this time. I assume this is more of the "expected" kernel panics and the same strategy for mitigating them: let it restart and pick up where it left off?
Did you create a clone of original macOSMojave System disk?
Did you connect any other disks to system after installation?
Don't you still have your original fully working USB Installer Disk of macOSMojave 10.14.4?

Did you create a clone of original macOSMojave System disk?
Did you connect any other disks to system after installation?
Don't you still have your original fully working USB Installer Disk of macOSMojave 10.14.4?
No, I didn't create the clone of the system disk -- I figured that if I messed it up I have a pretty straight-forward set of instructions (in this thread) to get back where I left off with only a couple of hours of work, and I was hoping to be able to make my clone after getting onto 10.14.5.

I did not connect any other disks after installation.

I do still have my original fully working USB installer for 10.14.4 (with the various tools (Multibeast, CCG, Hackintool, Kextbeast, etc) and the kexts that I needed on it)...

Fortunately after I posted my last message the install seemed to (at least mostly?) finish. After reboot it looked like there was an installer partition still there, and it wanted to boot from that by default. I let it do so, and it eventually stopped here:

I restarted and let it boot from the installer partition again, and it went back to this same state in the photo above. I rebooted again and this time told it to boot from the main Mojave partition. It came up and had some post-install stuff (Asked me if I wanted to enable Siri and a couple of other things), and now the system reports that it's running 10.14.5. I haven't rebooted again yet, but I'm hoping that the installer partition is gone.

It's Not normal to Reboot on Shut Down command.
  • Need to check your CLOVER from the System Disk and BIOS _Peripherals, Chipset, and Power Management Options for clues and fixes.
I understand the suggestion to check BIOS sections for clues, any direction on checking "CLOVER from the System Disk"? Is this something inside CCG?

No, I didn't create the clone of the system disk -- I figured that if I messed it up I have a pretty straight-forward set of instructions (in this thread) to get back where I left off with only a couple of hours of work, and I was hoping to be able to make my clone after getting onto 10.14.5.

I did not connect any other disks after installation.

I do still have my original fully working USB installer for 10.14.4 (with the various tools (Multibeast, CCG, Hackintool, Kextbeast, etc) and the kexts that I needed on it)...

Fortunately after I posted my last message the install seemed to (at least mostly?) finish. After reboot it looked like there was an installer partition still there, and it wanted to boot from that by default. I let it do so, and it eventually stopped here:

View attachment 407697

I restarted and let it boot from the installer partition again, and it went back to this same state in the photo above. I rebooted again and this time told it to boot from the main Mojave partition. It came up and had some post-install stuff (Asked me if I wanted to enable Siri and a couple of other things), and now the system reports that it's running 10.14.5. I haven't rebooted again yet, but I'm hoping that the installer partition is gone.

I understand the suggestion to check BIOS sections for clues, any direction on checking "CLOVER from the System Disk"? Is this something inside CCG?

• I guess you have somehow managed to get to your new macOSMojave 10.14.5 Desktop.
    • Please confirm that by screen Capture of AppleAboutThisMac_Overview >macOS Mojave 10.14.5 >Version and upload.
  • Next you can take additional screen Captures of all other Hardware in system Report>Hardware. [see composite image]
  • Since this is an upgrade your EFI inside the System Disk is expected to be OK.
  • To confirm, mount its EFI Partition using CCG.
    • Then go to its EFI>EFI> Right click EFI >Compress to upload
  • After verifying everything is OK for it to boot, you can try the reboot .

Attachments

• 1.AppleAboutThisMac_Overview_macOSMojave 14.5_System Report_Hardware.png
    1.AppleAboutThisMac_Overview_macOSMojave 14.5_System Report_Hardware.png
    205.2 KB · Views: 47
Here's my system info and clover zip. I couldn't tell, did you want individual screen shots of each section of system info?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-05-22 09.53.51.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-22 09.53.51.png
    463.7 KB · Views: 50
  • CLOVER.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 54
Here's my system info and clover zip. I couldn't tell, did you want individual screen shots of each section of system info?
  • If you have no problem booting /rebooting everything is OK ( BIOS+CLOVER+Installed MacOS System Files in that Disk).
  • I asked for the uploads only to confirm and think of my next step if there are problems to solve.
  • From the images you have uploaded everything looks to be Fine.

• Well Done!:thumbup:
  • You may Prefix the Title of your Post with [SOLVED].
  • Your post will then serve as a HowTo for Mojave Installation with the Hardware SPECS in your Profile.

I think there are two remaining problems:

Shutdown still triggers a reboot. I can live with this if I have to, it's not much trouble to wait for the right moment and hit the power button and I don't plan on shutting down very often.

At boot, there's still what appears to be an install partition (if I'm using the correct word?) and it's selected by default. If I do nothing at boot it will attempt to load the update installer and ends up at an install-failed screen. Here's what that looks like:

If I have it boot from the mojave partition, it boots fine. This is what the bootloader looks like. Note that it says "Boot macOS Insall from Mojave" (update installer) not "Boot from Mojave" (the one that loads the OS).

I'd rather fix this one if possible.

I've also just noticed that jpegs don't want to load in preview.app or in finder preview (hitting the spacebar). I know I've seen that mentioned around here before so I'll poke around and see if I can find a solution.

I think there are two remaining problems:

Shutdown still triggers a reboot. I can live with this if I have to, it's not much trouble to wait for the right moment and hit the power button and I don't plan on shutting down very often.

At boot, there's still what appears to be an install partition (if I'm using the correct word?) and it's selected by default. If I do nothing at boot it will attempt to load the update installer and ends up at an install-failed screen. Here's what that looks like:

View attachment 407802

If I have it boot from the mojave partition, it boots fine. This is what the bootloader looks like. Note that it says "Boot macOS Insall from Mojave" (update installer) not "Boot from Mojave" (the one that loads the OS).

View attachment 407803

I'd rather fix this one if possible.

I've also just noticed that jpegs don't want to load in preview.app or in finder preview (hitting the spacebar). I know I've seen that mentioned around here before so I'll poke around and see if I can find a solution.
What you have shown in your last CBM screen shot as the first disk icon Boot macOS Install from Mojave still lingering there even though you imply you have no USB Installer inserted to the USB port at the time of this shot.
That can be fixed. All you have to do is to clean up its remnants from the Root of your System Disk.
I will be back in an hour after some urgent errands to post the steps, unless others want to do that to help you.

We can also try to fix the Shut down issue.
I want you to upload the current BIOS Peripherals and Power Management Screens.
Be back in ~ an hour.

even though you imply you have no USB Installer inserted to the USB port at the time of this shot.
That is correct, it wasn't inserted.

Bios photos attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20190522_130250.jpg
    IMG_20190522_130250.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20190522_130240.jpg
    IMG_20190522_130240.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20190522_130233.jpg
    IMG_20190522_130233.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20190522_130217.jpg
    IMG_20190522_130217.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 48
That is correct, it wasn't inserted.

Bios photos attached.
In your BIOS Power change ErP from Disabled to Enabled [Image 1]
In your CLOVER/config.plist_ACPI try to make changes as shown in image 2
Try shut Down to see if that will fix the issue.

The CBM screen Extra icon Issue , we can deal with, after the ShutDown>Reboot is fixed

Attachments

• 1.Power.png
    1.Power.png
    205.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 2.ACPI.png
    2.ACPI.png
    231.8 KB · Views: 69
I found all of those options but I have a question before I apply any changes and maybe mess something up.

should I load the existing config.plist from EFI>EFI>Clover>config.plist before I make any of these changes? I found a little tool in the bottom right hand corner that seems to allow me to do that:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back