EVGA GTX 970
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Need help validating build (Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI and handoff/continuity)

Hello!
I'm planning on building a Hackintosh with yosemite/El Capitan and Handoff/continuity using the parts from "Customac Mini Deluxe" in the buying guide. After some research, I have a couple of questions regarding this combination of motherboard and adapters:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Socket 1150 (miniITX)

Handoff/Continuity: From the guide it seems the safest bet would be to order one of the boards from OSXWifi.com.
For the pseudo-DIY approach, I probably need one Bcm94360cd original board, plus some sort of adapter. For the adapter, I could go with:
- either PCI-e, with following problems/points:
-- - no discrete graphics card
-- + with 4 external antennae
-- - BUT some people have reported that this only works with a x1 slot
- or mini-PCIe adapter, removing the one already bundled with the motherboard, with following points:
-- ? the motherboard only has 2 antennae, so I'd probably have to get some extra extensions/internal antennae;
-- - the board+adapter are more or less double the height of the built-in board, which could be troublesome;
-- ? the board needs to be connected to an internal USB? I'm not sure what was meant with "make sure your motherboard is fully bluetooth powered"

A "macbook air card with only two antennae" was mentioned, but I do not know which board it is. Does this mean this card would work with the existing two antennae?

I thinks these are enough for the moment. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I ended up getting the GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5, which is a bit larger but has a dedicated x1 PCIe connector. This allowed me to test a PCIe handoff adapter, ready-made from amazon 1300M 802.11AC WiFunni WF-AC360 BCM94360 without having to worry about importing stuff :) .

In the end it paid off: Handoff is working (it took a while to appear, oddly), the adapter really only works with a x1 connector, and I still was able to connect a discrete GPU (EVGA GTX 970).

Without the WiFunni adapter and the GPU, everything worked out of the box, following the El Capitan with Clover guide.

Edit: while euphoric with success I almost forgot another headache: audio still does not work after sleeping, and I had to follow this guide to enable it: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/143757-audio-realtek-alc-applehda-guide.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back