3. iMac
  4. Power Mac
  5. PowerBook
  6. Quadra
  7. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all.... So this may be a tough one -

I have an old build that I stopped upgrading way back at 10.9.5. It's hopelessly antiquated but still relatively functional for internet browsing and video watching etc, and I'd like to keep it running if I can. Can anyone help me upgrade to 10.10 or beyond?

It's a socket 775 gigabyte GA-X48-D5S / ICH9 board with 2.51GHz quad core xeon processor, 6 gigs of RAM, and a 1040MB GeForce GT240 video card. I know it's not going to be capable of running current MacOS, but I am hoping that if I get over the 10.10 hump it will be a little more functional for a while longer....

Thanks!

You should be able to run High Sierra but I have no clue about Mojave. Your GT240 runs natively in High Sierra with acceleration and no Nvidia drivers. Assuming your bios is setup correctly (Disable serial ports, secure boot and CSM). Then I would suggest:

1. Install from USB drive: Create a bootable usb drive with the OS of your choice. (unibeast) I don't know the other items in your setup but you should be able to run High Sierra. If there is anything you want, save if off to another drive. Boot off the USB and perform a fresh installation. Fix your various post install issues.

2. Perform OS upgrade direct from Apple Store: Upgrade your clover boot manager first. Reboot. Check your Bios settings. Save off all docs and things you may want. Then run your mac os x installer from the app store. I would still create a bootable usb drive just in case something goes wrong.

Personally I would try option 2 first. If you had a spare hard drive that you could use as a clone or just a fresh install then that obviously would be best for either option.

Hi all.... So this may be a tough one -

I have an old build that I stopped upgrading way back at 10.9.5. It's hopelessly antiquated but still relatively functional for internet browsing and video watching etc, and I'd like to keep it running if I can. Can anyone help me upgrade to 10.10 or beyond?

It's a socket 775 gigabyte GA-X48-D5S / ICH9 board with 2.51GHz quad core xeon processor, 6 gigs of RAM, and a 1040MB GeForce GT240 video card. I know it's not going to be capable of running current MacOS, but I am hoping that if I get over the 10.10 hump it will be a little more functional for a while longer....

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back