Contribute
Register

Need help replacing broken EFI on boot drive from USB (can only get into recovery mode)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Macbook Pro 2014
CPU
i5 > Need full CPU model number > See Rules!
Graphics
Intel > Need full model number > See Rules!
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi there,

Today, I tried to update OpenCore and made all the changes needed to the config.plist and all the kexts and drivers. I am not updating the OS and am sticking with Catalina 10.15.7

I realised I made a mistake with the configuration but I can't get back into macOS to replace the EFI folder with the new one I made on my other mac.

I can get into recovery mode fine and my data looks secure, but I don't know what to do from here. Can I replace the EFI folder from my flash drive onto my boot drive?

I re-created the bootable USB drive as before, but it shows the apple logo for half a second before rebooting and it gets stuck in a loop. Is there something wrong with the USB drive? Or is the computer getting confused because there is two instances of macOS connected?

Please help!

Hi there,

Today, I tried to update OpenCore and made all the changes needed to the config.plist and all the kexts and drivers. I am not updating the OS and am sticking with Catalina 10.15.7

I realised I made a mistake with the configuration but I can't get back into macOS to replace the EFI folder with the new one I made on my other mac.

I can get into recovery mode fine and my data looks secure, but I don't know what to do from here. Can I replace the EFI folder from my flash drive onto my boot drive?

I re-created the bootable USB drive as before, but it shows the apple logo for half a second before rebooting and it gets stuck in a loop. Is there something wrong with the USB drive? Or is the computer getting confused because there is two instances of macOS connected?

Please help!
make sure to set MinDate and MinVersion to -1 in your config.plist

or:

MinVersion: 1412101001000000
MinDate: 20200306

make sure to set MinDate and MinVersion to -1 in your config.plist

or:

MinVersion: 1412101001000000
MinDate: 20200306
Ok, so I'm now able to boot in recovery mode on the USB. I reconfigured the config.plist file from scratch and something was different, so glad I've made progress.

What I'm stuck on now is how I can run the boot drive using the EFI from the memory stick so I can then change the EFI on my SSD for the one that's on the USB drive.

The only thing I can think to do is install macOS on my spare hard drive and copy from there, but surely there's a better way!

The Dortania guide doesn't really provide a lot of info for how to do the updates!!

Ok, so I'm now able to boot in recovery mode on the USB. I reconfigured the config.plist file from scratch and something was different, so glad I've made progress.

What I'm stuck on now is how I can run the boot drive using the EFI from the memory stick so I can then change the EFI on my SSD for the one that's on the USB drive.

The only thing I can think to do is install macOS on my spare hard drive and copy from there, but surely there's a better way!

The Dortania guide doesn't really provide a lot of info for how to do the updates!!
just edit those 2 entries and your macOS drive should appear in opencore picker

just edit those 2 entries and your macOS drive should appear in opencore picker
I can't edit the files on my normal boot drive. I've managed to successfully install macOS onto my spare HDD, but I can't edit the EFI files on my SSD. I've tried booting into OpenCore with both drives connected but it doesn't show either (presumably because it's getting confused).

I'm struggling to see a solution because I can't change the EFI files on the SSD without being in macOS, and NVMe drives aren't hot-swappable so I can't mount in the SSD without rebooting the machine

I really appreciate your time!

I can't edit the files on my normal boot drive. I've managed to successfully install macOS onto my spare HDD, but I can't edit the EFI files on my SSD. I've tried booting into OpenCore with both drives connected but it doesn't show either (presumably because it's getting confused).

I'm struggling to see a solution because I can't change the EFI files on the SSD without being in macOS, and NVMe drives aren't hot-swappable so I can't mount in the SSD without rebooting the machine

I really appreciate your time!
use your working usb installer to boot from, access desktop, mount EFI and edit the entries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back