Contribute
Register

Need help on making a Really CHEAP hackintosh!(Sub 300)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
H81M-HD3
CPU
I3 4330
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I need a hackintosh that can run yosemite and do iMovie and GarageBand.

I would like 8Gb of ram although 4Gb will work to.
If you can, a graphics card is not needed although i can get one if its needed (A gt610)

I have the case and psu taken care of so all i need is ram, mobo, cpu!

If you can help that would be great sub 300 is nice but i can do no more then 350!]

Thanks in advance for the help if you can be of any use!

I'd like to "me too" this one as well.

How far back in time can we go with processors/boards where there might be some savings (or do the older parts get more expensive due to scarcity)? I've run GB on an old Core i3 w/8GB, very usable.

I am in the same position as the OP, I have case, PSU drives (SSD even) and want to just swap out the mainboard/RAM/CPU and would love to do this cheap. Want working and non-buggy LAN and sound (current complaints with a not-so-compatible Asus board).

I'd like to "me too" this one as well.

How far back in time can we go with processors/boards where there might be some savings (or do the older parts get more expensive due to scarcity)? I've run GB on an old Core i3 w/8GB, very usable...

The new stuff is often cheaper than the old stuff - if you are thinking second hand/pre-used hardware then better specifications stuff is often both better and cheaper to buy than low spec hardware. Take a look at the older buyers guides for some ideas from the following link:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-ad...older-versions-os-x-using-older-chipsets.html

I am in the same position as the OP, I have case, PSU drives (SSD even) and want to just swap out the mainboard/RAM/CPU and would love to do this cheap. Want working and non-buggy LAN and sound (current complaints with a not-so-compatible Asus board).

If it is going to be new then look at the following thread for some good information - read through the comments for some other motherboard ideas:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-advice/118150-building-budget-haswell-build-how-low-can-you-go.html

Word of advice on the PSU - Haswell has much tighter tolerances and inferior PSU models may have issues and cause shutdowns/reboots or crashing/freezing

The new stuff is often cheaper than the old stuff - if you are thinking second hand/pre-used hardware then better specifications stuff is often both better and cheaper to buy than low spec hardware. Take a look at the older buyers guides for some ideas from the following link:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-ad...older-versions-os-x-using-older-chipsets.html

If it is going to be new then look at the following thread for some good information - read through the comments for some other motherboard ideas:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-advice/118150-building-budget-haswell-build-how-low-can-you-go.html

Word of advice on the PSU - Haswell has much tighter tolerances and inferior PSU models may have issues and cause shutdowns/reboots or crashing/freezing

I pretty much took the build right from the front page from the link for the budget haswell so the case and psu must work if it's on that page

I pretty much took the build right from the front page from the link for the budget haswell so the case and psu must work if it's on that page

If the PSU and mainboard came from the buyers guide then they will work - the budget build that you are looking at must cost closer to 500 - 600 USD. If you have a smaller budget then look for alternative mainboard/CPU options to fit your budget. The 'How low can you go' link offers alternatives to those building on a tighter budget.

Ideally for your purposes an i5 with 8-16GB RAM, a fast SSD and possibly a later addition of a reasonable GPU would make the ideal all round build. An i3 actually works well enough for light video use and the onboard graphics can be used perfectly well for your purpose I would try to utilise an i3 with good SSD for your budget as this is the two most important 'speed' related components.

It is possible to use a Haswell Celeron/Pentium processor with a GPU and install Yosemite - you end up with a poor GPU and inferior CPU - its an expensive option to upgrade these two components later.

If the PSU and mainboard came from the buyers guide then they will work - the budget build that you are looking at must cost closer to 500 - 600 USD. If you have a smaller budget then look for alternative mainboard/CPU options to fit your budget. The 'How low can you go' link offers alternatives to those building on a tighter budget.

Ideally for your purposes an i5 with 8-16GB RAM, a fast SSD and possibly a later addition of a reasonable GPU would make the ideal all round build. An i3 actually works well enough for light video use and the onboard graphics can be used perfectly well for your purpose I would try to utilise an i3 with good SSD for your budget as this is the two most important 'speed' related components.

It is possible to use a Haswell Celeron/Pentium processor with a GPU and install Yosemite - you end up with a poor GPU and inferior CPU - its an expensive option to upgrade these two components later.

I'm buying my stuff on eBay so I can find it for cheaper but I'll look for a cheaper mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back