Asus ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming
CPU
i5-9600k
Graphics
GTX 1070 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,
My first successful hackintosh was 10.13 high sierra and later upgraded it to 10.13.6 through combo update. Recently I tried to upgrade it to Mojave by formatting my disk(for clean install), I'm getting weird errors. I initially formatted my disk as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as per the guide also I tried using the APFS format too. but didn't get it working. It always freezes at 2 minutes remaining saying "disk is not convertible to APFS: you may not install to this volume because it can not be converted to Apple File System (APFS)."

My system specifications are given below. Any help would be really great.

MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390E
Processor: i5 9600K
Ram: Gigabyte aorus 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz(8GB*2)
SSD: Kingston 240GB NvMe SSD
Cooler: Cooler Master ML240R
GPU: Nvidia 1070Ti (I'm not going to use this in Mojave, instead I'll use the Intel UHD 630)

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-04-03 at 11.02.50 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-04-03 at 11.02.50 AM.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 318
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-04-03 at 11.02.51 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-04-03 at 11.02.51 AM.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 266
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-04-03 at 11.02.53 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-04-03 at 11.02.53 AM.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 284
Same here (I was about to create a new post, yet it seems quite similar, so I'm joining here):

MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX H370-F GAMING (bios 1202 - latest found via ezFlash/network)
Processor: i7 8700
Ram: Kingston Hyper-X Predator Fury 4x16GB
SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo, M.2, NVMe
Integrated GPU

Attaching my EFI.

I've followed instructions from https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ojave-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.259381/ to the letter (downloaded Mojave 10.14.4 from AppStore), then went on to Clover Configurator to mess with kexts - ended up doing following:

Edited SMBIOS section to identify my machine as iMac 18,1

Added:
* Lilu
* Whatevergreen
* AppleALC
* FakeSMC
* USBInjectAll
plus - everything APFS related.

Removed (after decision to use FakeSMC):
* SMCHelper-64
* VirtualSMC

Note: I've accidentally formated the SSD as APFS before erasing it and selecting GPT/Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Either way - installer is trying to 'convert' a partition to APFS and failing at 2 minutes remaining. I wouldn't mind to run my Mojave from a Mac OS Extended partition if there's a way to keep it.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_8480.JPG
    IMG_8480.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_8486.JPG
    IMG_8486.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_8488.JPG
    IMG_8488.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 179
  • IMG_8493.JPG
    IMG_8493.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 161
  • IMG_8494.JPG
    IMG_8494.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Two comments:
  1. When formatting the disk using Disk Utility, are you selecting Show All Devices from the top left pop-up, and then selecting the parent name of your Mojave SSD from the tree view on the left side?
  2. If so, when you get to the dreaded 2 minute mark and the system freezes, try rebooting the computer. Then boot from the USB install disk once again and choose "Boot macOS Install from Mojave". Does the installer continue or does it crash?

Two comments:
  1. When formatting the disk using Disk Utility, are you selecting Show All Devices from the top left pop-up, and then selecting the parent name of your Mojave SSD from the tree view on the left side?
  2. If so, when you get to the dreaded 2 minute mark and the system freezes, try rebooting the computer. Then boot from the USB install disk once again and choose "Boot macOS Install from Mojave". Does the installer continue or does it crash?

Thanks for the suggestions.

1. When formatting the disk I'm selecting show all devices and selecting top one and formatted it as "Macos extended journaled"
2. I even tried that, it freezes when it starts to install saying "15 minutes remaining"

Two comments:
1. Yes - I was starting with a blank SSD, so I could only see root device. Then tried different things (including erasing a partition with APFS - hoping it wouldn't need this 'conversion'), but no big difference.
2. Exactly the same result as @pradeep.ramalingam. It's worth mentioning though that I keep getting these `LegacyApfsContainerScan` (see screenshot) during clover boot.

Attachments

• IMG_8500.JPG
    IMG_8500.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_8499.JPG
    IMG_8499.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 141
Since I got this error I tried going for high sierra, which I was using earlier. But to my surprise I'm getting the same error in High Sierra (10.13.6)

As mentioned by @tishma I too got the errors before the clover menu showed up

They are not errors. It is normal "output" from apfs.efi.
Try using ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi instead.
I have ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi included, but no idea how to make it override apfs.efi. Any hint?

I have ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi included, but no idea how to make it override apfs.efi. Any hint?
Simply remove apfs.efi, you don't need both.

Simply remove apfs.efi, you don't need both.
Thanks - I don't seem to have it in my EFI. Anyway - it doesn't seem to make a difference, does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back